Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • SRAM GX 2×10 setup
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

My wife’s new bike has this drive train. When it’s in the small chairing and the smallest sprocket – which I know it shouldn’t be, but there we go, it happens – the chain round the bottom jockey wheel touches and grinds on the chain round the sprocket. However, she manages to get it in this gear from time to time.
    Now, notwithstanding that it shouldn’t be in that gear combination, is this normal for this drive train or is some B screw adjustment required? I’ve never had this with a Shimano setup but don’t know if it’s a symptom of a poor setup or just reflects the range of movement of the mech cage which, if improper gear combinations are avoided, shouldn’t normally get in that position?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Somewhere back in time I recall SRAM said it’s okay to cross-chain (small-small/big-big) their 2×10.

When I had mine in 2×10 it seemed okay and didn’t touch in that or any combination except when I got the wrong chain length.

I hated the 2×10 though. Dropped chain a lot and the jump between granny and big front chainring was too big, though I had 26-39. Had loads of issues with it with chain drop, jamming and general clunkiness, that I didn’t have with a 3x. Since swapped the spider for a 1x though and all my front mech hassles have gone away.

vincienup
    Free Member

As Deadkenny, the ability to forget about cross chaining and shift under load were both points SRAM advertised for 2×10

When in small:small the mech is always going to be pretty folded up but if it’s close enough that the chain coming off is catching, it’s a set up problem.

Personally, I’d check chain sizing first and the b-screw. B should be a standard 1.5 plates.

thegreatape
    Free Member

OK cheers, didn’t realise crossed chain was OK on SRAM. If that’s so then there is definitely a setup error.

Dropped chain a lot and the jump between granny and big front chainring was too big, though I had 26-39. Had loads of issues with it with chain drop, jamming

This, massively – including poor front shifting. She never had any problems with Deore + XT 3×10, but endless problems with this. Have suggested 1×10 but she’s not keen.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘SRAM GX 2×10 setup’ is closed to new replies.