Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sram GX 2.1 mech clutch weak?
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

I have this mech on my 1×10 set up. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-gx-type-2-1-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod135896

I have shimano clutch mechs on 2 other bikes with the same cassette etc, and they feel stiff when the clutch is on, and are very silent when riding -ie no noticeable chain slap. But the sram one, you can’t feel the clutch stiffness and the chain slaps like a bastard. Admittedly it hasn’t dropped the cain which I guess is the purpose, but it does sound awful..

Is it adjustable? Have I done wrong somewhere?

5plusn8
    Free Member

nobody?

sprinter2139
    Free Member

How long ago did you fit it? I have the exact same mech on my bike in short cage flavour and have ridden BPW and Aston Hill with no issues, chain seems pretty well tensioned!

Not taking the piss, but is the clutch definitely engaged? I found when I got mine out of the box to fit, I had to kind of ‘snap’ the arm loose as it seems to bind in the locked position after manufacture (they ship with the clutch disengaged).

5plusn8
    Free Member

Well it is about 4 months now, so do you think that it might have done the ‘snap’ maybe whilst riding?

As I said, it hasn’t dropped the chain, but it does feel loose compared to the Shimano ones on my other bikes and it is bloody noisy.

johnw1984
    Free Member

My X9 10 speed always felt a little looser than Shimano, but my 11 speed GX feels just as firm as any previous Shimano.

5plusn8
    Free Member

This is not as firm as the shimano by any measure.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

Well it is about 4 months now, so do you think that it might have done the ‘snap’ maybe whilst riding?

As I said, it hasn’t dropped the chain, but it does feel loose compared to the Shimano ones on my other bikes and it is bloody noisy.

It’s VERY unlikely that it’s still stuck in the locked position as the chain would be hanging very loose in that scenario.

I did find that my b-limit screw needed adjustment after my first couple of rides as it was allowing the chain round the top jockey wheel to rub on the edge of the frame which stopped the clutch from springing into it’s fully tensions position…

5plusn8
    Free Member

I am starting to think it it is faulty, in 10th gear, I can push the cage from all the way back to the stop with my little finger and I am an accountant not a bricklayer.

The shimano ones I can’t push without using my whole hand.

edit-the locked position is with the little button pressed in? It is obviously not stuck in that.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve got a duff unit assuming it’s all mounted correctly, doubt I could push my arm back with my pinky without causing myself great discomfort!

I didn’t imagine it was actually stuck with the button in, but I wondered if there may be some other mechanical clash that was causing it to get stuck before it reached full tension?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Turns out it is adjustable. All fixed now.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ask-pinkbike-april-7-2015.html
    Mine is a 2.1 and has a fixed pin, but the pin had come out, so I readjusted it and pushed the pin back in.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

I adjusted my gx clutch with a large Allen key (8mm?), just a turn or two and it’s fine now. Just lever the plastic cap off and go steady.

tony07
    Free Member

How did you get the pin pushed back in? Is there slots the whole way round to allow adjustment?

5plusn8
    Free Member

There seemed to be only one hole, I had to move it around to find the hole, which coincidentally was a decent tension on the mech. I think originally the pin moved and that’s why my mech went slack, before I adjusted it the pin was 3mm proud of the surface. Hence the adjustment slipping. So I pulled gently with some pliers and it came out completely, I then moved the adjuster until I could see a hole, pushed the pin in flat and it works good, been for a ride and the pin is still there. I am mildly concerned that the pin may work its way out though so may well send this one back for warranty..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sram GX 2.1 mech clutch weak?’ is closed to new replies.