Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SRAM front mech issues (again)
  • chrisa87
    Free Member

Having some major issues with my front mech on my camber for some god unknown reason. I will go to a 1x at some point soon, but I want to get it working so I can ride this weekend.

I broke the x7 mdm mech that sits on the taco blade, the only seemingly direct replacement I can find is the gx version that’s on wiggle, there are no physical differences that I can see, but can I get it to fit properly – Van i bollocks!

The horizontal plate on the mech (don’t know the proper name) is jamming against the outer chain-ring.

What am I doing wrong?
    Muppet-handed incorrect fitting?
    Wrong replacement mech?
    Damaged taco blade?

Poopscoop

Pictures mate, take pictures and post on here.

That will help with seeing the problem. 🙂

chrisa87
    Free Member

Fair point – I’m at work now, but will put some up later when I’m home 🙂

Poopscoop

😉

chrisa87
    Free Member

pics here

hoping this is going to link through to the pics.

The blade is slotted, but I get the issue at the top and the bottom. Completely run out of ideas

chrisa87
    Free Member

Any help going?

stumpy01

Page 3 of the download from this link makes it sound like the mdm mech is the only compatible one…

Not familiar with the taco blade thing, but that mech cage looks like it’ll never line up, assuming you have fitted it correctly….

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000051143_R3.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjJsu3i4JjVAhXGblAKHVwuD5gQFggxMAQ&usg=AFQjCNEl4wqHsDEHXsWSKlKwkSpJ5Ocgbw

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The GX replaced the X7 and X9 which were specific to front chainring size so I would check that your front mech is not a 22 which won’t work with a 24 front chainring . Or it might be that they are specific to the outer ring I can’t remember in which case a 36 won’t work with a 38 big ring.

vincienup
    Free Member

I did a quick scan through the Spesh docs and MDM stuff, and so far as I can tell there were two distinct sizes of MDM mech that weren’t interchangeable based on chain rings.

Looks to me from the pic like the one you have will never work.

chrisa87
    Free Member

That’s what I figure, but struggling to find the correct one now. Have emailed fisher to try and get the right one.

Thanks for the effort guys. It’s probably time to go 1x now

davefarmer
    Free Member

Visit your local Specialized dealer, they will likely have plenty of the correct MDM mechs hanging around.

We upgraded a few folk to 1 x at point of purchase, and probably have a mech or two hanging around.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SRAM front mech issues (again)’ is closed to new replies.