Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • SRAM Eagle chain almost hitting the ground
  • acidtest
    Free Member

Was watching the latest SRAM Eagle video and noticed the chain getting a bit close to the ground in what looks like 9th gear. Dunno how close the chain gets on an 11 speed and perhaps it wouldn’t be a problem but kinda looks worrying.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch4k youtube ?v=pEjlJYblcao[/video]

It’s around 58s in the video.

I’m all for innovation but is “nerve center” necessary when we already have “cockpit”? Since when has 3 levers been a nerve center? Bit of a rant, sick of the hype.

simondbarnes

Bit of a rant, sick of the hype.

Ignore it then 🙂

acidtest
    Free Member

Easier said than done, plus I’d rather vent in protest.

honourablegeorge

acidtest – Member

sick of the hype.

If hype upsets you. then watching marketing videos is a bad idea

acidtest
    Free Member

haha I love the way the thread turns around to being about me being sick of hype :-).

Dickyboy

Err you mentioned it first

acidtest
    Free Member

yeah I guess the rest of the post isn’t worth discussing.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I find the easiest way to avoid it is to be poor, I see the vid, check out the Pinkbike review – that all looks lovely, oh wait it’s £1200 for drive-train.

At that point is loses all meaning and interest to me and I return to feeling happy I can get 90% of what it does for £150 or so with my XT 11sp set-up.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Also, isn’t that a still of a common or garden X0 set-up?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

At that point is loses all meaning and interest to me and I return to feeling happy I can get 90% of what it does for £150 or so with my XT 11sp set-up.

Yep thats why I went GX

dragon
    Free Member

There is video from the XCO worlds this weekend showing a dumped chain. Saying that it looks like Nico Shurter won on it so it was fine for him. You’d like to think they would have tested it before release, but who knows.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

91.6% actually.

I’m sticking with 10speed, 83.3% of the job, from a £30 cassette.

oldejeans
    Free Member

yeah but gold

P-Jay
    Free Member

oldejeans – Member

yeah but gold

Jobbed

cookeaa

So what happens if the chain touches the ground then?

Instant combustion I assume…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

the gold paint comes off

Goldigger
    Free Member

The chain will catch on a stone, immediately stop the bike and throw you over the bars..

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Does the chain do this on 10 or 11 speed set ups would be my first question

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

no one was ever fast enough to experience this before

thanks SRAM – with this groupset and the weight saved from my absent kidney I now is faster than ever

cookeaa

Does the chain do this on 10 or 11 speed set ups would be my first question

TBH I don’t think anyone else has been going through all the footage of people riding 10 and 11 speed bikes frame by frame like the OP, to give you a definitive answer, but I would guess that yes a bicycle chain can indeed wibble about a bit when you ride across rough terrain at speed however many sprockets, clutches or widgets it has… And yet the chain seems to stay on most of the time if you use a N/W ring, its probably just being kept in place by the Hype…

[video]https://youtu.be/YdwPYuC5Y4k[/video]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Eagle chain almost hitting the ground’ is closed to new replies.