Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • SRAM Eagle 12spd… Who's running it already?
  • mboy
    Free Member

So who’s on Eagle already? What do you think of it?

How do you find the quality of the shifting compared to SRAM 11spd?

Especially interested to hear off anyone running it with a non SRAM crank/ring, more specifically a Raceface Cinch ring, and whether it works well or not (SRAM are saying you “must” use their rings, but of course they said that with 11spd too, and all the aftermarket guys are saying their rings work fine with 12spd too).

jonnyrockymountain

Mark, I’ll be trying it soon I think, just waiting a bit longer for prices to come down and works components to do a front ring

dirtyrider
    Free Member

whose got the best prices?

Tracey

Will be getting it on Abigales new bike once its in the country

fatboy4

I just fitted eagle cassette rear mech n shifter and kept my 11 speed sram chain ring . Seems ok in car park . Will give it full test tomorrow night . Fingers crossed . Rear cassette is MASSIVE .

ferrals
    Free Member

How much heavier is the cassette than old xx1?

fatboy4

According to sram it’s about 90g heavier . Must be all that gold blink it’s painted in.

carlos
    Free Member

Asked the LBS to swap it out for 11spd on a recent purchase. Why??? Well the cost of the cassette for 1 and because I didn’t want it. Mad?? Maybe in some people’s eyes, but it’s not for me.

mboy
    Free Member

just waiting a bit longer for prices to come down

Given its not even widely available yet, the prices are barely any more than the 11spd equivalent, and it’s the hot new topic, I don’t see the prices coming down any time soon! Give me a shout if you’re interested though, as a previous customer will help out if I can…

whose got the best prices?

LOL

I’d wait 12 months first before asking that again… It’s still the hot new product and demand is outstripping supply right now, it’s not a commodity yet.

Asked the LBS to swap it out for 11spd on a recent purchase. Why??? Well the cost of the cassette for 1 and because I didn’t want it. Mad?? Maybe in some people’s eyes, but it’s not for me.

You won’t be the only one either. For some people, it’s worth the expense, for others it isn’t. Depends what you place the importance on I suppose. I couldn’t tell anybody to go one way or the other, but given I’m already running X01 11spd which has been great so far, but I could just do with a tiny bit more range overall ideally, the fact the 12spd is no more expensive (at least in terms of RRP so far) has driven my interest. I know people who’ve only just changed to 1×10 because they baulked at paying more than £30 for a cassette, so it’s going to remain an emotive subject for a while for sure… I’m happy to pay for it myself as long as it’s a genuine improvement.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Yes I am running it. Had it for about 2 or 3 months now. Shifting is good, no issues at all. Running it with SIXC cranks and a wolftooth chainring and it’s all good. I do run a chain guide though just in case.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

LOL

I’d wait 12 months first before asking that again… It’s still the hot new product and demand is outstripping supply right now, it’s not a commodity yet.

im not asking for SLX prices 😆

theres some swing somewhere though surely, wiggle were cheaper the other day but the prices have gone up >10%

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As with all what’s the best price its easier for you to go through the retailers and see what comes up, especially if prices are changing over a few days, what somebody saw is probably out of date. A lot of pricing will depend on the exchange rate when the order or deal went through as to the margin available.

Milkie
    Free Member

who’s on Eagle already? What do you think of it?

How do you find the quality of the shifting compared to SRAM 11spd?

Got it on the new bike, I’ve come from 2×10 on 26″ to 1×12 on 29″. I thought I was going to struggle, but really like it. Shifting is crisp, but 1/4 turn on the shifter cable tension can make a real big difference!

With the amount of piss taking I have received over the size of the rear cassette, I’m not sure if it will take off. 😆 It doesn’t look too bad with 29er wheels 😉

Obligatory new bike photo 😉

EDIT: ^^ Now rocking a black chain.

acidtest
    Free Member

Nice bike, you must be well chuffed. Personally I don’t need the range for where I ride, can get away with a 34 chainring and 11-42.

CheesybeanZ

Mark ,unless your going to run a 36/38 front ring why on earth do you need a 50t cassette for riding in the FoD ? Your a regular rider only in your 30s !!! Unless your out in real mountains on a regular basis I just can’t see the point .

lunge

Is the chain line not horrendous on that? It’s what I can’t get my head round with the x11 and x12 setups, horrible chain line in the extremes of the cassette.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

when xx1 one came out I was one of the first to have it that I know of (certainly the first order from the lbs), it felt good and it felt like a good step forward over 10 speed with the ratios for climbing and descending

this time around its not interested me really, ive got plenty of climbing in my 10-42 and with a 34t up front is great in summer and 32t in the sloppier months

I can see the point for people going from a 3x setup to it, but its not worth it to me personally over 11 speed

the cassette in real life is huge, and I mean huge if you haven’t seen one, plus the cost, at the min I’m running the steel x1 11 speed cassette and you can get one for 75 quid, when I had xx1 cassettes they were no cheaper than 220 quid anywhere so for me price vs performance is great now on the 11 speed stuff

njee20
    Free Member

Given its not even widely available yet, the prices are barely any more than the 11spd equivalent, and it’s the hot new topic, I don’t see the prices coming down any time soon! Give me a shout if you’re interested though, as a previous customer will help out if I can…

A cassette at retail is 11% more, and trade is more than 20% more, not sure that qualifies for “barely any more”.

More significantly ze Germans are doing cassettes for €358 (at the 3 I looked at) whilst XX1 is €289, which is quite a big difference. Also means that the European prices are not that favourable, XX1 was proportionally cheaper, even ignoring the exchange rate.

I imagine I’ll need an XX1 cassette soon, but I so rarely use either the 10 or the 42 I think Eagle would just be wasted.

mboy
    Free Member

A cassette at retail is 11% more, and trade is more than 20% more, not sure that qualifies for “barely any more”.

Two distributors in the UK for SRAM as no doubt you’re aware… One of them is about 15% cheaper than the other right now!

Obligatory new bike photo

Chapeau Milkie! You made an excellent choice… Had my Wreckoning almost 5 months now, just the most awesome bike I’ve ridden! What chainring size you running?

Mark ,unless your going to run a 36/38 front ring why on earth do you need a 50t cassette for riding in the FoD ? Your a regular rider only in your 30s !!! Unless your out in real mountains on a regular basis I just can’t see the point .

That’s it, I regularly ride stuff that’s steeper than anything in the FoD. I’m a spinner not a grinder, current bottom gear is 30/44 and top is 30/9, but the E13 cassette has some quite big jumps in that cassette. On my HT I’m fine with 10-42 and a 30T ring but then it’s about 6lb lighter. I’d be running a 34T ring most likely for pretty much the same bottom gear I have now, but tighter gaps across the range, and more importantly on my Wreckoning, more chain/chainstay clearance.

njee20
    Free Member

Two distributors in the UK for SRAM as no doubt you’re aware… One of them is about 15% cheaper than the other right now

Actually I wasn’t, been so long since I was in the trade! Always just used ZyroFisher, who’s the other one? I’m hoping they’re the cheaper one!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and there was me thinking SRAM was reducing dealers not expanding? Whats the logic? Bun fight between the 2 or phasing one out?

lawman91

Have X01 Eagle on my new bike, not done any serious riding ride as there was a horrendous creaking coming from the back end, have checked it and have put it down to cassette/freehub somewhere :/ I’ve smoothered the interface between cassette/freehub with grease and and gone through pretty much everything on the back end of the bike (freehub strip-down aside) and while better it’s still there under high loads in certain cogs towards the top of the cassette as it only seems to affect the biggest 4/5 gears. Really can’t put my finger on it, am gettting the frame taped this week hopefully so will perhaps test it out for real at the weekend and perhaps it’ll wear in but either way it’s not great and if all else fails perhaps the hub needs a strip down. hoping I’m not going to have to get it sorted under warranty. Shifting wise it feels great though, first time owning SRAM (have ridden hundreds of times though) I was tempted to strip it all off and go for Shimano but I’ll stick with it and wee how it goes.

ferrals
    Free Member

I just wonder if, when you need that extreme of range, whether you’re better off going 2 by 10/11 and having nicer chain lines, smaller cadence gaps? very quick google says only a couple of hundred more to get xtr di2 rather than eagle groupset.

Milkie
    Free Member

With Di2, you then need the steerer mount for the battery, the special stem, special bars, it soon adds up. XT Di2 is due out soon too, I think it has some better features than XTR too.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The mtb di2 shifter is awful though – don’t like mine

njee20
    Free Member

With Di2, you then need the steerer mount for the battery, the special stem, special bars, it soon adds up. XT Di2 is due out soon too, I think it has some better features than XTR too

Not really. You need a mount for the battery, but seatpost works (if you don’t have a dropper), and costs a few quid less, the steerer mount is only £10 anyway. You don’t have to route in the bars/stem etc.

mboy
    Free Member

So here it is… Decided to take the plunge having been given the all clear that Raceface rings work ok with 12spd chains (despite SRAM protesting otherwise) and managed to find a 34T in the end (which was a lot harder than you’d imagine, given Raceface supply is outstripped by demand these days!)…

Setup was just as with an 11spd, nothing quirky, nothing to catch you out at all. Quick spin up and down the road and it feels just like the 11spd X01 it has replaced, albeit there’s an extra click in there and more range. Off to test it in the morning, will report back when I’ve got a few miles under its belt.

traversbikes
    Free Member

A customer build with SRAM Eagle on one of our Travers Bikes RUSSTi Titanium frames [url=https://flic.kr/p/Ln2tZm]Travers-RUSSTi-eagle-12-speed-groupset[/url] by Michael Travers, on Flickr

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Will if my new bike ever turns up

Bolt

@mboy, that chainring sets it off nicely! 😀

mboy
    Free Member

@mboy, that chainring sets it off nicely!

Best £22 I ever spent mate! 😆

Seriously though, only colour I could get hold of a 34T in was purple… Just wasn’t gonna go! And no point upgrading to Eagle if I kept my 30T ring I was running with 11spd on there, would have had a totally redundant bailout gear that I could barely have pedalled at walking pace!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Just built this beast up over the weekend. Apart from the cassette looking ridiculous, I’d say so far so good. Shifts as well as XX1 11 speed from what I could tell on the quick test ride I did I earlier. I will probably fit an oval 34 or 32T ring as 30/50 seems a bit daft even on a 29er. Might change it back for the Trans Savoie next year though!!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Had a better test ride today and found it to be a bit noisy under load. Turns out that it’s very sensitive to the B-tension setting being spot on. The MRP guide also needed spacing out a little (due to the Boost I guess) but a quite fettle by the trusty LBS (who also trimmed the steerer tube down) and it’s now running like a dream. Muddy shake down in the morning..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

stunning hightower build that hughjayteens :virtualhighfive:

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Very nice,Stunning Hightower build
    Any idea what weight it is??

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Cheers chaps! SC claim 12kgs with the Enve wheels but that excludes pedals (Mallet E 450g ish) and the MRP AMg V2 guide (150g ish) and probably the Stans tyre jizz, so it’s around 13kgs I think.

Does feel a tiny bit heavier than my V1 Bronson which had more travel but obviously less frame length, wheel diameter and cassette! May well end up putting somwe 160mm 36s and a Float X2 on it next year for the Trans Savoie but will see how I get on with it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

the float x2 is an incredible piece of kit, id highly recommend it, seems a bit crappy of SC stick that thing on such an expensive frame!

mboy
    Free Member

Turns out that it’s very sensitive to the B-tension setting being spot on.

I’ve found that 11spd SRAM is very sensitive to this too to be fair. Anyway… Took mine out yesterday, 20 odd miles of my local trails. First impression is cable “stretch” impacted my shifting within the first few miles, and a quarter turn on the shifter barrel adjuster makes a lot of difference.

Second thing I noticed was just how hard 34/10 is to pedal on a 29er! It’s as good as useless to me being that tall. Suspect I may downsize to a 32T chainring soon, not cos I need a lower gear, but cos I’d rather have a top gear I can use and at the same time, stay in 2nd gear longer on the climbs and save the 50T as an ultimate bailout to be used only when necessary.

Which brings me back to the fact that if SRAM had made a 10-46 11spd cassette, it would probably have been enough not to bother with the whole 12spd thing!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Can see what you mean. Think 32T on a 29er is the sweet spot from my little pedals so far.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Eagle 12spd… Who's running it already?’ is closed to new replies.