Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SRAM double tap road levers?
  • 4ags4
    Free Member

One for the roadies really.
    Just building up a new road machine and am thinking of going the SRAM route (rather than Shimano) for a change.
    Is anyone using SRAM double tap road levers? If so any real world reviews – any good?
    thanks

poppa
    Free Member

I'm not a real roadie but got em and like em (SRAM Rival). Double tap is a really poor description of how the levers work in my opinion. Real description of how double tap works:

1. If you push the lever gently until you feel a click (and resistance increase), then release, you will shift to a smaller sprocket.

2. If you push the lever gently until you feel a click, but carry on pushing further, you will shift to a bigger sprocket. You can change up to three sprockets in this direction if you throw the lever far enough.

I think it works really well. Some people don't get on with it, but the general consensus seems to be that it is a a decent alternative, not really better or worse, just different. Shouldn't take long to adjust.

Also, SRAM Rival as a groupset is a bargain. The 09 version was lighter than Dura Ace, good ergonomics and shifting performance, and similar price to 105.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

yeah i've got some on a boardman bike. they're light, but not as smooth and nice to use as shimano. The double-tap thing is very quick to get used to though.

mysterymove
    Free Member

I like mine, I though i'd got it dailed straight away with only a few mis-shifts. But now i've got 6 months use it's like second nature…

SiB
    Free Member

+1 to all the above, sram rival. Seem to be a bit noisy but that could be to do with carbon frame amplifying sound? No complaints

daveh
    Free Member

Had Shimano for about 6 months and now have had SRAM (Rival) for about the same. I prefer double tap, I like that the brake lever is always in the same place! On the downside though, if you ever dropped your bike or came off, I reckon the 'able to move inwards' Shimano brake lever would hold up better than the fixed SRAM.

oddjob
    Free Member

I have RED and wish I'd bought Dura Ace. Brakes are good, it is light, but the shifting is a bit too fussy and I still mis shift even after a year of using it. Perhaps it's just me.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have tried the flat bar version and found that to be very easy to use once i had got how it worked in my head worked out and would put it on my mtb if i could aford it and they did 9 speed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SRAM double tap road levers?’ is closed to new replies.