• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • SRAM DB5 Brakes… Owners experience please.
  • mboy
    Free Member

Got SRAM Guide RS’ on my full sus, so far, so good pretty much. Had been a Shimano man for many many years, but now SRAM have got their act together seemingly, their new brakes are as easy to bleed/setup as Shimano, and offer more modulation too. They also combine nicely with SRAM shifters and Reverb levers.

So… Just built up a new (to me) HT which has the Deore M615 brakes on it still that it came with. I know in isolation they’re not bad brakes, but the lack of modulation and even power compared to the Guides is annoying me. Don’t want to spend much to change them, and know that DB5’s are stupidly cheap online right now and they share the Guide lever pretty much, so I’m tempted. But any user experiences first would help as you don’t see anything about them written online as they’re not exactly a glitzy product.

FWIW, would buy more Guides happily, but at less than 1/2 the cost, and considering they’re going on my HT, the DB5’s are making all the right noises…

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have been mightily impressed with them on my T129s, no issues at all, very good brakes in my opinion. I had them ear marked for changing to shimano as soon as before I bought the bike due to the avid rep and issues I had years ago on avid, sram have however upped their game.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mine seem OK, I think SRAM/avid have improved their QC as my last few pairs have been good.

The DB5 seem to be ab elixir with tool free reach adjust.

IME they have the same power as shimano, just in more lever travel. Whereas the shimano brakes you can feel the pads contact and theres barely any further movement the avids continue to squeeze, but the overall force at the lever to braking force relationship seems about the same. The shimano just take more getting used to as you lose that extra bit of proprioceptive feedback of finger position.

mboy
    Free Member

Good to hear guys.

Any more for any more?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘SRAM DB5 Brakes… Owners experience please.’ is closed to new replies.