Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • SRAM 1×11 on full susser… quick chain length question.
  • Poopscoop

Slightly confused by SRAM guidance regarding correct chain length as shown below in the pic.

Am I right in thinking SRAM say you only add 2 links to a fs bike (rather than 4 on a hard tail)as they assume you add the 2 links based on the suspension being at its maximum chain growth point when you measure the chain up??

They don’t mention that but I can see that as being the only reason you fit a shorter chain than on a HT. What I mean is that in the rest of the travel of the bike the chain growth will be less and could result in an overly long (effectively) chain during the rest of the bikes travel if you added 4 links.

Hope that makes sense? lol Sorry, bit tired and cant word it any better!

Thanks for the info guys!

EDIT: Looking at the pic again I notice a 1×11 setup is actually only mentioned in the fitment to a HT, not a full susser???

mboy
    Free Member

The problem here is that no 2 FS designs are the same in terms of chain growth. The important thing is that you have enough spare chain left under the extremes (ie. largest cog front and rear, suspension fully compressed) that you don’t rip the rear mech off. You won’t know until you let all the air out of your shock (or remove it) and cycle the suspension through its stroke.

Errr on the side of caution. You can always remove more chain easily, but adding it back on is harder or more expensive.

Poopscoop

Thanks mate.

Im going to get my lad to hold the bike compressed at the point where chain growth is longest (no air in can obviously) whilst I do the measuring of the chain.

Still confused as to add 2 or 4 links… though I can always shorten it of course. 😉

Amusing that according to that pdf SRAM never envisaged anyone fitting a 1×11 setup to a FS, only a hard tail. lol 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The mech I understand will take up more slack due to the design, they suggest you can swap 2t Up or down without changing the length so you can have 30/32/34t front ring options with only changing the chain ring.

Pridds

1×11 is 4 links for any bike.
    The hardtail bit relates to 1×12 setups only, where on a hard tail you run it with 4 links and on a fs you run it with 2. It relates to the mech having to much slack to take up if you use 4 links when the chain growth is at the minimum.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘SRAM 1×11 on full susser… quick chain length question.’ is closed to new replies.