Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sram 1×11 back pedalling issue.
  • zippykona

Brand new from the box bike and if I back pedal the chain drops down the block.
    Will this rectify itself as it loosens up?
    The gears change sweetly up and down.

scotroutes

You are a liar.

This only happens with Shimano.

A man on STW told me this.

steve_b77
    Free Member

OMG WTF NO FREAKINH WAY MAN!!

mattyfez

Has it been set up or is it as is from factory?

Bought a trott mtb 1for the Mrs so I’m interested as that has nx 1×11, boxed so I built it up myself, and the gears appeared to be perfect, no adjustment required.

However she’s probably not done or had any need to back pedal, so I’m not sure if hers has the same issue.

Seems to ‘free wheel’ fine though, no chain drops or skiping or anything.

Rorschach
    Free Member

P-Jay
    Free Member

They all do that sir, chainline all to **** on 1x systems init.

mattyfez

Have I missed a joke here or something? Lol

I’m on 3×9 so all this 1×11 stuff is like voodoo to me.

Rorschach
    Free Member
    mattyfez

Ahh ok that makes sense, so presumably if you are in the middle rungs of the cassette backpedaling should be ok, but not at the higher or lower sprockets? Assuming the front ring is lined up with sprockets 5 or 6?

mattyfez

Maybe someone could come up with a new standard, like a double chain ring and a derailleur?

That said, why would you back pedal?
    I back pedal sometimes to announce my presence as I have loud hubs though to be honest.

scotroutes

Getting “set” on steep terrain might involve a wee back-pedal.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If it’s a NX casette then it is essentially the same as a Shimano casett so it sits on a Shimano free hub and the largest sprocket is dished giving you a more extreme chainline , hence the back pedaling issue .

mattyfez

Getting “set” on steep terrain might involve a wee back-pedal.

Actually Yeh I do that, I just didn’t realise until I thought about it.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

My X01 cassette does this, even though shifts perfectly. Only happens on two largest rings though. XT mech and shifter though, if it makes any difference…

johnw1984
    Free Member

Both mine and missus’ bikes have 1×11 Sram (with NX cassette) and I’ve never suffered with this.

It was the same for 1×10 too. Is this not something that can be adjusted out?

zippykona

People elsewhere on the intraweb say adjusting the B screw helps. I shall try tomorrow.

Superficial
    Free Member

Mine (Canyon Strive 2015, X01) did this for maybe 1 or 2 rides when I got it. I was annoyed because I backpedal a lot. It’s now perfect, I don’t know why exactly.

Check the hanger’s straight though. If the hanger is bent it’s often possible to get perfect shifting on forward pedalling but rarely forward AND backwards.

mattyfez

People elsewhere on the intraweb say adjusting the B screw helps. I shall try tomorrow.

It could be the b screw leaves the mech a bit too close to the biggest sprocket, when in the biggest sprocket in which case it’s a really small adjustment on the b screw to move the mech away a millimetre or 3

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Also have the same problem but never actually checked differences across the whole cassette.

zippykona

Looking at my picture from the other thread I reckon the chain looks too short.

Poopscoop

Hard to say from that pic mate?

The mech is pretty stretched out on 1x setups. Took me a while to get used to the fact it is meant to be that way.

Chainline looks pretty scary too but works fine on my setup.

Some people have the back pedal issue, some don’t. Bit of Lottery I think?

zippykona

I guess Giant do know more about the chain length than I do.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sram 1×11 back pedalling issue.’ is closed to new replies.