Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sram 11 speed drivetrain very noisey
  • Mbnut
    Free Member

Hi

I bought a second hand bike which came with the Sram XX1 drivetrain.

It was ok but the chain was stretched/elongated to .75.

Put a new chain on and the cassette slipped on the larger cogs, put a XO1 cassette on and it now works but makes a lot of noise even when it is not that dirty.

Any ideas?

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

When I fitted a new chain it was noisy on the worn ring, calmed down after a couple of rides. I’d have ridden what you had into the ground first though, rather than replace for the sake of it.

grobin13
    Free Member

You’ve probably already checked but make sure the upper jockey wheel is seating in the chain properly.

Mbnut
    Free Member

njee, it was my plan to ride the existing chain/cassette to death but a broken chain put pay to that as it was then too short to work.

grobin I have ensured that the wide links are in sync with the wide teeth on the jockey wheels and the chainring. I will have a play with it and see if it can be fettled,I have found that everything needs to be just so to make it run smoothly.

Thanks

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Had the same issue with my XO1 but after a few rides it’s gone?

Cassette seems to have bedded in

ampthill

I can’t believe that a new block doesn’t also need a new chain ring

goldenwonder
    Free Member

It’s usually the chainring-we end up changing quite a few when the chain’s are that stretched, won’t slip, but slightly noisy & you can feel it feeding back through the pedals.

konanige

I should take a look at the front chainring I think sram make them from cheese(philaadelphia) I think, my one is worn right out and is picking up the chain slightly even though the chain isn’t at .75 yet. A new chain seems to have made it worse but at least the cassette is still ok!!

Suggsey
    Free Member

My bets on the chain being run through the rear derallieur the wrong side of that little metal separation plate…….I bought a bike that had been set up with a newish chain…no wonder he thought it was noisy and hated the bike 😆

m_t_b
    Free Member

Mine made allot of noise whenever I put some force through the pedals, the whole drive chain was new and 3 months old, in the end I replaced the front chainring as other was looking slightly worn. This solved it, I sent the one that came off to SRAM as a £65 chainring should last longer than 3 months of summer riding, they came back and said it looked fine to them… I find the wear vs noise timeframes are allot shorter with thick thin rings. Especially SRAMs own 11 speed. They are cheese.

njee20
    Free Member

“A lot” not “allot”.

Like I say, my chainring was noisy after changing the chain, particularly under pressure and in the larger sprockets, ie climbing. It settled down quickly enough though and is still silent, glad I didn’t change the chain ring frankly.

rone

My x01 cassette/chainring setup and is noisy without fresh lube.

My other bike has an xx1 crank/ring and x01 cassette is defo less noisy.

Can’t find anything more scientific than that.

sq225917
    Free Member

X01 cassette needs a few miles on it with a brand new chain, same as the RED road groupo. Worth doing front ring at the same time of course.

ampthill

Surely the chain ring wears out say 11 times faster than the cassette!!!

(Ok I might be exaggerating a tiny bit…)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sram 11 speed drivetrain very noisey’ is closed to new replies.