Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • SRAM 10 speed shifters and Shimano clutch mech?
  • nedrapier

Have I remembered this right? SRAM 10 speed road shifters work with Shimano shadow plus?

So SLX shadow plus mech and SRAM TT500 bar end lever should be grand?

(sorry etc, googled and found plenty, but not quite this)

((it’s for a cx type thing with mtn BB7s and Tektro drop bar mtb pull levers))

nedrapier

OK, seems not.

Next Q then – is there any bar end shifter I can use with any clutch mech? I’d prefer a Shimano mech, given what I’ve read so far.

Staying 9 speed would be great, as I’ve got a small pile of cassettes, but I’ve got other 9 speed bikes in the family, so not an issue if this one needs 10 at the back.

Cheers!

maximusmountain
    Free Member

If your bar end shifter is indexed (not sure about bar end shifters) I would be ~90% confident in saying it wouldnt work.

Any sram bar end shifter will work with any sram clutch mech (assuming the mechs are the same pull ratio) as they have compatibility across the range.

IIRC you dont get 9 speed clutch mechs.

sq225917
    Free Member

You can frig them by putting a small chunk of metal on the rear mech where the cable screws to the body.

nedrapier

sq225917 – that’s to get the older style (not 1:1) SRAM shifters to work with 9 speed.

I need a bar end shifter, and there aren’t any older style (not 1:1) SRAM 9 speed bar end shifters.

nedrapier

Looks like I’m stuck with type 2 SRAM rear mechs and the TT500 shifter.

Are the type 2 mechs really that bad? any I should steer clear of?

maximusmountain
    Free Member

The type 2 mechs are fantastic. I don’t know where you’ve got this insane idea that theyre rubbish from.

nedrapier

you know, the internet! amazing what you can find…

I wasn’t really looking for dirt on them, just a couple of articles that said they weren’t as good as the Shimanos, then some people on here saying they’d snapped cables with SRAM clutch mechs, someone else saying that they weren’t reliable below X0…

So they’re plenty reliable, no great issues with any model then?

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I run X7 on my CX and X9 on my mtb, both type 2. Had my x9 stiffen up (not due to the clutch though) so I took it apart and packed it full of a load of grease.

The only times ive had any issues with them is because I was being a clart and filled them with grass to the point of seizure or smashed it on a rock. Plenty of harsh miles on my frames, I am very mechanically unsympathetic as a few people on this forum could certify.

nedrapier

pfff. x9 mech, TT500 shifters, SLX cassette and Selcof chain on order. Not a lot more expensive than a new mech, K edge chain cather and ring guards for 2 chainring sizes.

So 10 speed here I come, shortly after I stocked up on 9 speed cassettes and chains. Good job 2 bikes are still on 9!

Thanks all

Next question is whether to get a middleburn mono spider for 110, 130 or 104, given I’m interested in 38T for off road set-up and 48T for on-road set-up…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘SRAM 10 speed shifters and Shimano clutch mech?’ is closed to new replies.