Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • squealing BB7s: so LOUD they're scaring peope!
  • trebord
    Free Member

not really had much trouble before, they seem fine in the dry..
    but yesterday I would've probably drowned out an emergency services siren: seriously LOUD!!
    I've ridden in the wet before with an older set and not really had more than gentle squeaks here and there.
    at the mo, though, I'm using xt rotors–not sure a shimano/avid mix should cause probs, though..
    what do you reckon is likely cause: rotors, calipers, minor contamination (I say minor as stopping power is fine, they just scream like a pig!).
    any pointers/advice greatly received.
    ta,
    Rob

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Contaminated pads, get new ones.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

give your rotors a clean with a strong spirit. switching rotors shouldnt do much as long as the discs are the same thickness etc. also what pads are you on? organic or sintered. a high copper content in the sintered ones can make them howl.

good luck
    joe x

markenduro
    Free Member

Unless it's 203mm rotors you are using be careful, shimano are 160 against the avids 165 and 180 vs 185 so they will leave a bit of the pad on the outside edge not covered by the rotor and will eventually leave a ridge as they wear and the pads will touch together leaving not a lot of braking.

To stop them squeeling, pull the pads out and put a bit of copper slip on the back (non friction material side) and put them back in.

taka
    Free Member

sandpaper your pads clean 😉

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

All good info so far:

lightly sand and then degrease (with isoproal alcohol or disc cleaner) the rotor.

Check all bolts are tight.

Sand pads, dab of copperslip on the non friction side and pop back in.

Check the caliper mount is faced and pop a little copper slip on the caliper mounting spherical washers.

Re-set the brake as per Avid instructions, look them up on line and don't rely on what you thought you did.

Ride 🙂

Alex

trebord
    Free Member

thanks for advising.

can someone let me know more about the copper slip things? are these used a lot by people? were do I go to get some????

Merlinman

Copperslip is a brand of grease…

Ambrose

Halfords- it comes in pots or in tubes IIRC. I bought a tube years ago, still using it. You don't need a lot.

trebord
    Free Member

thanks guys
    😳 for not knowing about copperslip–will give it a go!

phiiiiil

My BB7s are absurdly noisy when it's wet; no amount of copperslip, sanding or new pads have ever shut them up… 🙁

millsonwheels
    Free Member

my bb7's are great and stop superbly, but turn motorists's heads on noisy roads in the wet they are so loud.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘squealing BB7s: so LOUD they're scaring peope!’ is closed to new replies.