Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Squeaky Lefty hub
  • ratherbeintobago

New wheels. After less than 20 miles, front hub making a continuous irritating squeaking noise. Should I be worried (eg. about incipient bearing failure) or is this normal wearing-in?

Andy

(Have emailed shop too, before this is suggested)

amedias
    Free Member

when mine started doing this it turned out to be a thin nylon washer that sits under the cap on the outboard side that has the bolt going through it you use to attach the wheel.

I just removed the cap (reverse thread) and liberally greased the washer on both sides, noise went away and 2 years later still hasn't returned 🙂

Not saying 100% that's what yours is, but that's what it was on mine…

Matt

peteimpreza

Grease the bit that sticks out at the bottom from the Lefty where the inner surfaces of the hub bearings are in contact.

ratherbeintobago

Thanks – I'll give those a try.

Andy

peteimpreza

Which wheels did you get in the end?

I fell for those SLRs on Merlin.

ratherbeintobago

Yep, me too. Too good a bargain to pass up; existing DT rims in need of truing so swapped tyres, rotors & cassette over.

First go on them today as crashed doing the Towneley & lots of shoulder pain, which is mended enough to go riding now. They feel quite fast, squeak notwithstanding.

Andy

ratherbeintobago

Everything given a good greasing & the problem is solved. Thanks all.

Andy

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Bit of a hijack,

Are the lefty SLR's from merlin the latest ones are a couple of years old? ie do they have the full on 3d interspoke milling, or just the original only between the spokes?

Its a really temping offer!

Photos of them on a bike always appreciated 😉

ratherbeintobago

Can't post a phot as my bike is utterly caked in clart & the STW photo jury will have me for that 😛

They're the 2008 wheels, which means the original milling (painted black), sadly. However, I still think they're a bit of a bargain – this year's Crossmax STs seem to be about the £600 mark, and I don't think you could get a decent handbuilt set for £300.

Andy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Squeaky Lefty hub’ is closed to new replies.