Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Squeaky car drum brake help.
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

My son’s fabia has developed a squeak in the rear off-side wheel, but it only happens when going round a round-about or tight right turn. I don’t think its the wheel bearings, no play in the wheel or owt, and it sounds more of a brake rub anyway. Can’t think why a drum brake would squeak though, any ideas?

wwaswas

is the inside of the tyre marked – play in suspension could be making tyre rub somethign under load?

is handbrake cable getting pulled and dragging the brake shoes?

plop_pants
    Free Member

Thanks wwaswas, I’ll check the tyre. The handbrake seems fine, perhaps it needs a bit of lube somewhere.

sharkbait
    Free Member

It could still be bearing even without feeling any play, it could also be the nearside wheel – souonds can be misleading.
    If it’s a constant squeel while cornering I’d go with bearing porblem, can’t really see it being a drum, but you never know.

Marko

Possibly just brake dust trapped in the drum. You need to remove the drum to check. A leaking wheel cylinder may also be an issue.
    Hth
    Marko

mrmo
    Free Member

if we’re talking squeaky brakes, is there a way to stop a drum brake squeaking. It makes a racket when i apply them, but only when cold.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Squeaky car drum brake help.’ is closed to new replies.