Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • square taper cranks or external bb
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

looking at new 1×10 cranks thinking about middleburn uno’s any pros/cons to think about before purchasing..

bearing in mind shitmano zees are only 70quid atm…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

More choice and options with Ext HTII is my vote, Hope & CK BB’s that will outlast the cranks, more crank choice etc. Easier to fit service and swap.

Not really looked back, especially with a Hope SS BB.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got both kinds (flirted breifly with isis but quickly abandoned that!)
    There was nothing wrong with square taper in my opinion, lasted forever and was plenty stiff enough for us XC whippets. Got two CK external BBs, both 2yrs old and faultless so far but far too young to tell if they match the longevity of UN72s. The only reason I got them was the now limited crank choice for square taper.
    Most HT11 BBs just don’t seem to last, if you can afford Chris Blings go for it, otherwise stick with square, the Middleburns are available for either.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have the Middleburn crank / uno set on both my 1x10s. bombproof.

Cheezpleez

Only prob with square taper is removing them IME. I’ve had a couple over the years that have jammed solid and stripped the threads before coming free. I’m quite prepared to believe it was due to either a poor tool or my incompetence but it’s not an issue with HT2. On the other hand, maybe the square taper cranks had seized on because the BB had lasted five years …

carlphillips
    Free Member

@cpleez, ive stripped a crank arm thread on an old crankset with a removal tool, that was a concern as i knackered the old one so easily…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

HT2 is stiffer, and lighter but ST does last well, whereas HT2 cups are a bit hit and miss (even properly fitted and not over pre-loaded…). For me the benefits of HT2 easily trump ST.

orangeboy
    Free Member

For me I can’t tell the differnace when I ride
    Ht11 maybe a little easier I replace but taper ones last so long it’s much of an issue
    I still use the rs7 arms I got 14 years ago

No weight penalty if you have a nice taper bb

Just need to find a pf30 to BSA converter that’s ok with internal bbs

Middle burn arms and Phil wood bb weigh 605 g can’t see any progress with ht11

njee20
    Free Member

HT2 all the way.

IHN

I’ve gone back to square taper and am thinking of doing the same to the little lady’s bike (keeping an eye out on the classifieds for anything Middleburn-esque…).

HT2 is a bit lighter, but they seem to give more friction and poor sealing (which gives even more friction). For general riding around I just don’t see the advantage.

mattbee

Square taper for me, 2 sets of Middleburn and one Cook Bros. Wife’s are both HT2 simply because that’s what they came with.

mattjg
    Free Member

Not really looked back, especially with a Hope SS BB.

There’s such a thing as a SS specific BB? How are they different?

mattjg
    Free Member

(No, you mean Stainless Steel presumably).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stainless steel is what I meant. Didn’t think I needed to spell it out…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘square taper cranks or external bb’ is closed to new replies.