Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Square taper bottom bracket recommendations (103mm)
  • sidetracked
    Free Member

The Sugino bottom bracket on my Langster single speed sounds like its died after a mere 6 months of commuting. I’m getting an awful twang that I can feel at the pedal on the drive side when out of the saddle and with nothing loose and a frame intact, I figure it must be the balls getting jammed under load. Anyway, I’ll strip it down tomorrow and inspect.

On the assumption that I need a new bottom bracket, which 103mm square taper JIS should I choose? Has anyone tried the Token carbon or the FSA Powerpro? Both available from on-one:
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BBTKJISCBN/token_jis_square_taper_sealed_carbon_body_bottom_bracket
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BBFS7420/fsa_powerpro_jis_square_taper_bottom_bracket

Or should I just get another Sugino? The first one lasted a few years.

Cheers
    //A

epicyclo

Get a quality old fashioned one with loose balls and keep it dosed up with fresh grease and it will last forever if you can keep the dirt out (or clean it regularly)

Keef
    Free Member

Royce (not sure if he goes down to 103,but worth a call)

hounslow
    Free Member

Just go for the FSA, as if there is any point of a carbon fibre spacer on a BB. For what it’s worth, most bike shops (inc. Halfords/Evans) will have stacks of square taper BB’s, give your local a call?.

PaulD
    Free Member

I have just the experience you want here.

Token carbon is excellent…I have 2 in use and a few in stock.

At that price and weight I will not go the extra distance and get a Royce or similar.

FSA was rubbish…lasted only a few months and thrown away clapped out.

I am not a big guy and I never pressure wash or use the pink acid/alkali bearing scouring cleaners.

Just checked the O-O prices and spec:
    Token at £20 and weight approx 215g (my claim from 110 and 113 stock).
    FSA at £10 and weight claimed 297g
    No brainer as far as I can see.
    Get 2 whilst you are at it.

PaulD

sidetracked
    Free Member

Thanks PaulD, that was just the sort of insight I was looking for 🙂 I’m off to buy one now..
    Cheers
    //A

Speshpaul

I’ve had some very nice TA ones over the years i don’t think i’ve had one fail.
    Its a shame they don’t do a 73mm spacing.

sidetracked
    Free Member

I’d love to be fitting a nice adjustable / rebuildable bottom bracket like the TA or the Royce but I’d rather spend that sort of money on my mountain bike. The Langster is my runabout and as much as I’d be heartbroken if it was stolen, I don’t worry too much about locking it up in town. So cartridges are where its at – sub £25 units that last a couple of years (with any luck).

I’ve a feeling the outgoing Sugino may have been a low grade unit passed off as an RD2. It was an ebay purchase and came with a dull grey finish rather than the shiny one in the picture. I was in a hurry so ran with it anyway.

amedias
    Free Member

Royce (not sure if he goes down to 103,but worth a call)

they do, I’ve just picked up a Ti Royce 103mm one SH for under £30!

sidetracked
    Free Member

they do, I’ve just picked up a Ti Royce 103mm one SH for under £30!

Wow, good find! Think I might keep my eye out for another of those..

woodsman
    Free Member

Sadly, I couldn’t endorse the Royce BB. I bought one last summer, followed the instructions to the letter, even bought a new crankset Clif suggested. It creaks!! drives me crazy. I’ve spoken to Clif about it and of course it’s not any fault of his, he even suggested using thread lock/bearing fit compound on the tapers as a last resort – did this which I consider a bodge and it lasted three rides. Royce are accepting no responsibility, even though that was one of my main concerns/questions at time of purchase.

Next time Phil Wood Stainless – if there is a next time!

stever
    Free Member

The Token I have seems fine – not done a huge mileage on it, but the FSA was a nasty thing.

Speshpaul

**** me, i’ve just looked at the prices of TA Steel BB’s. When did they start making them from unobtainium? £120 for a steel axle WTF.

You might be as well to swop to a HT2 chainset. at that size you really are limited.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Square taper bottom bracket recommendations (103mm)’ is closed to new replies.