Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Square taper 1×10 set up?
  • The_End
    Free Member

Hello :),

I’m building a small fleet of hardtails for each member of my family and my best friend, the Zee shifter and derailleur was on offer so I bought a load of them with the intent for a low-profile, quiet-as-possible geared drivetrain.

Aside from just splashing out on multiple sets of Zee cranks, what are some popular square taper cranksets that I could all convert to 1×10 usage? (apart from Middleburns as they’re pricey).

Would say, the Shimano Tourney cranks work?
    How about reliable single rings that won’t break the bank?
    Are there any other potential issues I might run into?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated!
    Cheers,
    🙂

cyclistm
    Free Member

Deore square taper cranks with superstar io chainring for me

cyclistm
    Free Member

Wtd ad on here might sort you out

Yak

Got some deore sq taper cranks. £10 + postage?

I would then pair them with an on-one thick-thin or even cheaper – the stainless chain-ring. Would need a chain guide then.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Can’t comment on cheap cranks but I’ve been very impressed by the superstar N/W chainring.

The_End
    Free Member

Thanks guys, that’s just what I was hoping to hear 🙂

The On One stainless ring looks ideal. Do they need special bolts/washers to work with Deores like the Truvativ squares?

Yak, I’m quite interested in the taper Deores, could you send an email to anotherguinnesspls@gmail.com, some photos would be great. What length are they?

What other stainless rings are good quality, reliable, and fairly priced out there? How do people get on with Surly stainless single up front?

Many thanks

warpcow
    Free Member

Stainless rings will require some kind of guide to keep the chain. Narrow/wide, XX1-style chainrings (like the Superstar I/O mentioned above) won’t. If you are using a guide then that adds an extra issue of possibly having to use an e-type square-taper bottom-bracket, which are harder to come by nowadays. There are seattube mounted guides too though, but it’s still another, admittedly one-time, cost on top of everything else.

Yak

Pics sent. 175mm length.

The surly ring is very good and much lighter than the on-one stainless. You will need a chain guide for all these though. You need to balance up the cost of a stainless and guide, and the associated long life of this v a thick/thin ring that won’t last as long.

Edit – all the stainless rings will need thinner crank bolts to fit. Some of the thick/thin rings like the on-one ring are so fat that standard bolts fit.

bland

A single ring should last longer than a double/triple setup as theres no shifting going on. for the price id not worry about wear

richardthird

Defo NW ring, mounted where the middle ring of a triple would go.

Old cranks can polish up nicely with some wet & dry & metal polish

gonzy
    Free Member

+1 for Deore cranks

i’ve also got a pair of them for sale. theyre in good condition, all the threads are good and visually there are a few age related scuffs
    also have a square taper b/b (shimano UN-53 for a 68mm shell with a 113mm axle width)in good condition and still spins smoothly
    £15 + postage for both of them

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Square taper 1×10 set up?’ is closed to new replies.