Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Sqr taper axel length for Orange 5 with double & bash?
  • specializedneeds

I’d like to try out a 22/36 double chainring set up, using bits from my garage. I have a pair of Deore square taper triple cranks, I just need a BB to suit the Orange 5. Will 73mm x 113mm do it? Thanks in advance.

Stoner
    Free Member

BB axle length is a function of your chainline/chainset.

go here with your chainset model number to identify the axle length you need for a standard MTB chainline

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

big page, so text searcch for deore to get to the table you need.

specializedneeds

Great resource, thank you. Of course the figures for the M510 (113mm) will be for a triple and I’m looking to go for a double set up. Would anyone recommend going for a longer axel to give a better chainline when in 36/11?

Stoner
    Free Member

if you allow 6mm per chainring offset, then you could move the chainline from 47.5mm for the middle ring to 47.5mm between the inner and middle (i.e. middle at 50mm) by adding 3mm to each side of the axle, or 6mm overall.

UN54 BBs are cheap emough to buy a couple to try and play with the chainline or you can get a phil woods BB that can be adjusted by 2mm either way which would do much the same.
    http://www.hubjub.co.uk/philwood/philwood.htm

However, for double and bash most people dont bother moving the chainline. In fact most people on double and bash are using Outboard bearing BB cups which dont allow for much chainline adjustment anyway.

Id go with a stock BB if I were you and only if you ‘re having trouble get a 6mm longer axle UN54.

specializedneeds

Perfect, thank you.
    Happy New Year to all, it’s already new year’s day here!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Sqr taper axel length for Orange 5 with double & bash?’ is closed to new replies.