Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • SQlab saddles/bars etc – any users?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Been reading a few reviews of the SQlabs gear and I think some of it looks really good – in particular some of the bars with more sweep that is ‘traditional’ and some of the saddles look good too.

Anyone use there products? Or know a good UK based supplier?

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’ve literally *just* ordered some 12deg 30X bars, so I’ll let you know when they arrive and I’ve ridden them!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Cool – where did you order them from?

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I got them from Rose Bikes. I was prompted by this article on NSMB. I sometimes get some elbow pain on multi day rides, so I thought they’d be worth a try. I like that they’ve got the same sweep as BMX bars…

I haven’t been able to ride them yet, as, devastatingly, I’ve broken my big toe. FFS…

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks for the update and pics – look good. Any chance to ride yet?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve got the SQ Labs saddles on every bike.
    Most comfortable saddles I’ve tried. Highly recommended.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Ecky – what models do you use? Did you just take a punt on tremor do a ‘fitting’?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Model 611
    140mm width for me.
    Standard (not the fancy active one with the inserts)

I did a self-measure. i.e. sat on a sheet of paper on a soft surface and measure the impressions left.

First one I had came as standard build on a Liteville. Liked it so much that I bought again.

I’ve had both carbon railed and Ti railed ones. I’ve broken the rails on both… but (for context) I’ve also broken every saddle that I’d had before them too, so this is not a criticism. All were replaced without quibbling. The 10 year warranty is fantastic.

molgrips
    Free Member

I looked at the bars. Perfect combination of sweep etc that I wanted, in carbon.

BUT

The carbon versions are sodding heavy and still expensive. What gives?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

molgrips – the weight might be because they seem to place an emphasis on strong bars? I’m sure I read that they far exceed the strength/crash tests that they need to. No idea if that is it though, just an idea!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Any updates from the guys that bought bars? Anyone try the 16* sweep?

davosaurusrex

Got the 30x 12 degrees 45mm rise being delivered Monday from Actionsports.de so will report back in a week or two. Hoped they would be here for the weekend with the nice weather but hey ho.

Think the NSMB article said the carbons are stiffer then the alu which in my mind is a benefit for the alu bars, hopefully even more comfort

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

thanks davo – was going to drop you a PM!

mansonsoul – any chance to ride yours yet? Also wondering what that stem is?

davosaurusrex

Fitted them last night, look a bit weird, feel wrong but also right! I suspect I’m going to get on with them really well. Should be out Thursday for a ride

Gotama
    Free Member

IS the 780mm width the width if you take a tape measure and go tip to tip or is it the length of the bar. If the latter then I assume they will ride like a 760mm* bar?

Tempted by a set.

*very roughly speaking

davosaurusrex

Same thing occurred to me Steve and I measured them last night, they are 780 tip to tip. Thing is because they don’t push your elbows out so much compared to a bar with less sweep they feel narrower. I was thinking I’d have liked an 800 but still got to fit through the same gaps in trees I guess.

I might be up your way early Sunday again if you want a go?

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks Dave. Sunday would have been great but I’m in Finale unfortunately. Interested to hear how you get on though. I would have thought the shape goes against the elbows out style that coaches promote.

davosaurusrex

“I’m in Finale unfortunately”. Don’t hear that too often!

Agreed on the elbow position, have to see how it works in reality. NSMB review didn’t make it sound like a problem. I think the 16s would be too much though

dmrdave
    Free Member

Weird, I’m looking at these bars as well – prompted by the NSMB article (after searching for info on them following a comment on a MBUK article with Hans Ray) – yes I commented on that article as well.

So I emailed SQLabs and got this reply ;

“We would advise you to go for the 12 degree backsweep with 4 degree upsweep and 45mm riser.
    That comes closest to the bar that you describe(as in an old lovely shaped Azonic Double Wall bar).”

I’m still not sure as I can’t hold and feel without buying…. maybe I order both and return one, but postage cost to and returning to the UK….

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I ordered a saddle from actionsports.de – no comms at all since I bought it 4 days ago and wondering of they are really slow? Was thinking of getting the bar too but might buy elsewhere.

Seems like most are trying the 12* dmrdave so maybe you can be the pioneer with 16* instead of me….

davosaurusrex

I got nothing from them for a few days until the despatch confirmation and was then nice and quick via DPD. Suspect they had to get them from SQ

dmrdave – I have the 12 45s, down in Sussex if you’re anywhere nearby

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Cheers davosaurusrex – any chance to ride with the bars yet?

davosaurusrex

In about an hour! Then pub. Will report back tomorrow when I get a minute

davosaurusrex

In pub. Like bars!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Good to know! No regret not going for 16*?

dmrdave
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer davosaurusrex – no really, Bristol.

dmrdave
    Free Member

I’ve emailed Rose to inquire about return options (free apparently!) but they suggest the 12deg also:
    I also would use the 12 ° version but you can order also both and return the one you do not need. Return stickers for free shipping are printable in your account under returns.

davosaurusrex

Well my review isn’t the greatest as I changed 3 things at once – the bars, 55mm stem in place of a 50 and put the bike ground back in the high setting.

Anyway, I really like the shape of the bars, my left wrist is pretty knackered and on the Renthals I could always feel the pressure on the arthritis.

To be honest my left wrist would have liked the 16s even more but for an aggro trail bike I think the handling would be too compromised. For a hardtail just for blatting around the bridleways without anything too tech I’d have a set of 16s for sure. As it is the 12s are pretty much perfect I think. Didn’t do any rock gardens or anything last night (mainly because there aren’t any round here) but did some jumping and general hooning around the woods and there was no downside, only more comfort and less fatigue. I won’t be changing back.

£85 for a set of alloy bars is still eye watering though!

davosaurusrex

Just back from a quick Surrey Hills ride, like them even more. If anything I felt I had more control.

12 degrees is the new 7!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just thought I should follow up for the benefit of anyone considering SQ. I eventually got an SQlab saddle. Initially I was skeptical but it is actually brilliant! Fair to say that it has brought another level of comfort for me – the best compliment I can give is that I don’t really notice it!

Seriously thinking about adding the bars!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘SQlab saddles/bars etc – any users?’ is closed to new replies.