Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • SQL Server 2008 – careers advice
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

Currently trying to get my head around SQL Server 2008 for my job. I’m in software support and SQL is used for some of the software, so i’m trying to learn more about it (slowly)

I’m also taking part in CodeYear with their weekly free online classes in Javascript

So my question is……..where the hell am I heading (by accident) in my future career? I thought I wanted to do design but there’s no money init really, so that’s become more of a hobby. It all seems a bit unknown at the moment and getting into IT relatively later after many years in the financial sector has left me a bit further behind than 20 year old hotshots with computing science degrees.

Just looking for pointers really……thanks 😀

Cougar

A good DBA can command a healthy salary.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Are you learning SQL or are you learning how to administer SQL Server? There’d be a bit of a difference. I’m good with the first, not a clue about the second

randomjeremy
    Free Member

UNIX sysadmins earn loads of money, at least ours do.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

currently working through a couple of books with a view to doing some Microsoft exams.

this:

and this

So it’s looking like Administration

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Certainly is – I’ll bow out

damitamit
    Free Member

Couple of interesting SQL Server related blogs for you to read:

http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/

http://www.brentozar.com/

djglover
    Free Member

I think most, if not all of our SQL development and support is done from India now.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I work for a company who deals with facilities overseas who not always have a SQL DBA in place and are crying out for them. I know it’s a long road and not trying to take anything away from anyone who did all this at college/university, just needing a few pointers int he right direction.

The blogs look like some light reading for me tonight

fuzzhead
    Free Member

As above – good DBAs are always neeeded. If you initially get into SQLServer admin, you can always branch out into more esoteric areas such as data warehousing.
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away I was a DBA 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

Are you learning SQL or are you learning how to administer SQL Server?

+1 as there’s a big difference.

Also, SQL 2012 is currently launching and it’s changed a fair bit compared to SQL 2008

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Also, SQL 2012 is currently launching and it’s changed a fair bit compared to SQL 2008

Of course there’s that as well, getting to grips with 2008 first then move on to 2012 as soon as I can

brassneck

I’ll let you know next week – I’m booked on the MS course for 70-432..
    mainly to round out my administration experience (SQL is a backend to most everything these days, and one helps learn another) and to take the certs.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah UK DBAs are still in demand, although more so on the Oracle side IMO. With SQL I think you should be looking at combining it with SharePoint and possibly .Net/Biztalk/XML stuff to really be able to cut it. Basic SQL install/maintenance is simple stuff and easily farmed off-shore or done as a secondary role.

scaled
    Free Member

Don’t do yourself down for not having a comp sci degree for gods sake, I’ve got one of those and it’s less than useless for every IT related job i’ve ever had!

I install/maintain/support SQL 2008 (and the application that we run on it) it’s really not rocket science.

Get yourself some of those CBT nuggets videos on 2008, its a great way to see the interface working as it’s designed to. The thing about working with the database is you get to see where all the data comes from and have a bit of input.

Take a look at how data gets in to your database, web services/XML as mentioned earlier. just dont forget that a database is only as good as its design (so blame the DBAs if somethings running clunky!)

16stonepig
    Free Member

I am a DBA, specializing in MS SQL, with some Oracle as well. I got into it through a operations role – we didn’t have a dedicated DBA so I got involved in SQL admin and implementation, then when they advertised for a DBA role, I asked if I could have it.

3 years later and I’m the go-to database guy and, if I may say so myself, fairly well-regarded, technically. I did my degree in Geology, and had no formal IT training before I started the operations role, so there’s no reason you can’t do the same, if you can demonstrate some technical aptitude and ability to learn.

Oracle is harder to learn – I maintain that they keep everything deliberately awkward and inaccessible to put off “amateur” admins…

Bimbler
    Free Member

*bookmark*

mrmo
    Free Member

my role is as a Marketing Analyst, money could be better, but lots of variety problem solving. Lots of time using MS SQL, MS CRM, Excel Access, have spent time with crystal,

I now what i have to do is get my head round .net or whatever to improve my ability to get complicated SSRS reports.

sniff
    Free Member

If your looking at SQL and Javascript then why not give Oracle APEX a thought. Create a free account and do the getting started training (a few hours).

http://apex.oracle.com/i/index.html

A few jobs in that around at the moment and is growing.

brassneck

Oracle is harder to learn – I maintain that they keep everything deliberately awkward and inaccessible to put off “amateur” admins…

We also put it on server installs of RHEL, especially the RACs.

Basically it keeps us employed 🙂

sniff
    Free Member

Until the latest cloud offering takes off and you no longer need a DBA 😉

16stonepig
    Free Member

cloud

Hilarious.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘SQL Server 2008 – careers advice’ is closed to new replies.