Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)
  • SPOTY Time!! Let's back our boy
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Have you seen cav lately..looks like he’s following the ulrich offseason diet

MDMA?

mboy
    Free Member

Cavendish has had (another) great year, but that doesn’t mean he’s necessarily going to win. He has a great year every year, maybe now is his time?

Strauss and Cook, well England have done something I never thought would happen. They totally dominate Test Match cricket, and wiped the floor with the 2 best sides in the world so comprehensively it was almost embarrassing to watch! Strauss has totally gelled the team and is easily the best England captain for decades on paper, and has helped create such strength in depth that there are probably 30 odd players all worthy of playing for England at test level now! Cook has shown repeatedly that he is an utter genius with a cricket bat, and that he has the ability to singlehandedly break the will of any team playing against him just cos he will bat and bat and bat (and score lots of runs too). Cook is an incredible talent, if slightly inconsistent, but what a year he has had too!

McIlroy and Clarke have both done great things this year winning a major each, but that’s about it. That said, SPOTY is often won by the person with the biggest comeback story, or ability to tug at the heartstrings. Both guys score highly here, especially Darren Clarke, and he’s already a big personality that the public love!

Don’t really think any of the others will get, or deserve a look in. No Farrah has done a good job yes, but his achievements outweighed by those above. Amir Khan probably feels embarrassed to be on the list now!

My prediction though…

1st Cav
    2nd Clarke
    3rd Cook

With England Cricket team winning the team award.

lazybike
    Free Member

papa L excuse my ignorance but I don’t know what that means..

BoardinBob

papa L excuse my ignorance but I don’t know what that means..

methylene-3,4-dioxymethamphetamine

Or ecstasy as it’s more commonly known

lazybike
    Free Member

I meant diet as in pizza etc… not the party drugs smash up a porsche etc…

themountaingoat
    Free Member

Didnt Jan Ullrich microwave a pot of Nutella and drink it through a straw ? Proper off season diet. Anyway I hope Cav wins .

cheers_drive

Cav for the win
    England cricket team for team award
    Andy Flowers for coach

The golfers will lose votes to each other however deserved they may be.

BoardinBob

Clarke may edge it with the sympathy vote

geetee1972
    Free Member

Plus Cav comes across as a total dick (IMHO) in interviews so he loses out on the personality points.

This is the same guy who when interviewed after every single win, makes sure that the first words out of his mouth a ‘it wasn’t me it was the team’ right? Or is there some other guy out there called Mark Cavendish?

Seriously he is not just an incredible bike rider, he’s also one that respects his team and their efforts. Of course he is arrogant but then so are/were a lot of champions (Mohammed Alia anyone?) and to be a successful sprinter, you really need a heck of a lot of self confidence.

Boardin, I do get that you’re not a roadie and I can empathise, but really, golf? I mean you’ve got issues with roadies but you like golf?

That’s seriously f****ed up!

allthepies
    Free Member

Cav currently runaway winner on Betfair

http://sports.betfair.com/?mi=102069660&ex=1

ads-b
    Free Member

Clarke for my vote.

Key in it is sports PERSONALITY of the year. Cav just bores me. Very monotone and not much character. And the bit I know of (arrogance) isnt too appealing to me.

Clarke now, after what he has been through, the story and the fact he got straight on the lash and bought drinks all night for the people at his local back home. I love a guy who can not take himself too seriously, especially after his year.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It is a sad sad day for cycling when cyclists will vote for a GOLFER in preference to a cyclist!

I think this is the coporate IT manager STW effect (I hope).

It’s f***ing GOLF for crying out loud. It’s a game played by middle age, over weight men with more concern for their career than their soul. You don’t play golf for the love of it, you play it because your a COCK!

Really, I’m seriously considering resigning from this forum.

Golf…..

<walks away shaking head>

BoardinBob

It is a sad sad day for cycling when cyclists will vote for a GOLFER in preference to a cyclist!

I think this is the coporate IT manager STW effect (I hope).

It’s f***ing GOLF for crying out loud. It’s a game played by middle age, over weight men with more concern for their career than their soul. You don’t play golf for the love of it, you play it because your a COCK!

Really, I’m seriously considering resigning from this forum.

Golf…..

<walks away shaking head>

As opposed to the sad middle aged overweight IT managers that don lycra every weekend and hit the road?

AdamW
    Free Member

Well, after reading all that, for the first time ever I will vote on one of these things. For Cav. Golfing is, as they say, a good walk ruined. Is golf classified as a sport? Sounds a lot like tiddlywinks with small balls.

geetee1972
    Free Member

As opposed to the sad middle aged overweight IT managers that don lycra every weekend and hit the road?

Yeah OK you may have a point there. 🙄

Seriously though I’m just kidding around. I mean I can’t stand the idea of golf largely because I personally feel excluded from the culture that surrounds it (much like a lot of women would), but still live and let live eh.

Vote for Clark, but please do concede that while Cav may be arrogant, he is one hell of a team player and is humble with his team.

mintimperial

I’m with geetee1972, Golf isn’t a sport. It’s just rambling with accessories.

BoardinBob

Yeah OK you may have a point there.

Seriously though I’m just kidding around. I mean I can’t stand the idea of golf largely because I personally feel excluded from the culture that surrounds it (much like a lot of women would), but still live and let live eh.

Vote for Clark, but please do concede that while Cav may be arrogant, he is one hell of a team player and is humble with his team.

Golf’s brilliant.

Sadly the people that play it, or more specifically those that are members of clubs, are typically bell ends.

I enjoy golf but I have never been able to face joining a club.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Now you see Boardin, you’re just the type of person who could change my mind about golf and I really do feel for you with your comments.

My wife’s mum and grandmother are scottish and they are always going on about how golf is a working class game.

Tell you what. I will change my mind about golf if you vote for cav?

lazybike
    Free Member

I think the personality bit is irellevent, none of em seem great, cav has had a great year, so have the golfers, for me cavs win in san remo was way more impressive than the worlds….do I have to vote for him because I like cycling..of course not.

higgo
    Free Member

Didnt Jan Ullrich microwave a pot of Nutella and drink it through a straw ?

/If that’s true it’s awesome.

McIlroy for me too (and I don’t much like golf).

I will be voting based on my view of the achievement not how close they are to my interests.

llama

Has won everything he could. Nobody has ever done what he has done. Makes the other sprinters look like amateurs. None of the other SPOTYs are in Cav’s league. It will be a CRIME if he does not win.

And he has got a personality, his passion for the sport is obvious.

Golf == a _game_

geetee1972
    Free Member

I will be voting based on my view of the achievement not how close they are to my interests.

In which case surely you should be voting for Cav? Come on the guy won the World Championships as well as the Green Jersey, five stage wins in the TDF, two in the Giro and one in the Tour of Brittan

What did McIllroy do BTW? I am just asking becaus I honestly don’t know.

crazy-legs

Team of the year should go to the GB Team at the World Championships as well. No-one has ever controlled the World Championship road race the way those guys did.

The best thing was everyone else there knew that Cav was pretty much dead cert to win if it came to a bunch sprint, they knew that was the GB plan and yet no-one could do anything about it at all.

lazybike
    Free Member

I think as a cyclist who races, I find it hard to like the sprinters, they sit in, they get overly aggresive, they never close gaps, its always someone elses fault when they don’t win…how about Gilbert for overseas spoty

kennyp
    Free Member

On the subject of golf…….my pal and I were playing a round one day. My pal said “why don’t we make this a bit more interesting?”. So we stopped playing golf.

🙂

PS Cav should win it by a mile, though I concede the England cricket team deserve the team award (I’m a Scot, but believe it or not a lot of Scots do actually support England when it comes to cricket).

kennyp
    Free Member

Team of the year should go to the GB Team at the World Championships as well. No-one has ever controlled the World Championship road race the way those guys did.

A great performance by them, but not flawless by any means. They did lose control right at the end. It did have me on the edge of my seat yelling at the telly though, and not many sporting events do that.

lazybike
    Free Member

A scot that doesn’t like golf…and supports an English team… there goes the stereotypes

geetee1972
    Free Member

How do you actually vote for this thing anyway? I’ve never voted before but want to this time around.

kennyp
    Free Member

A scot that doesn’t like golf…and supports an English team… there goes the stereotypes

If it’s any consolation, I live on deep fried haggis, am a borderline alcoholic, a tight fisted git and think bagpipes make for great music. That better? 🙂

lazybike
    Free Member

borderline alcoholic…only borderline, you must have some english in you.. 😀

Zoolander
    Free Member

As with geetee. How do you vote?

crazy-legs

As with geetee. How do you vote?

Call 09015 22 26 01 for Cav

eddie11
    Free Member

Call 09015 22 26 01 for Cav

cheers, but with the number of trolls on here tonight that better be the right number…

Gary_C

cheers, but with the number of trolls on here tonight that better be the right number…

Don’t worry chap, that’s the right number!

eddie11
    Free Member

it is indeed. an automated sue barker has just confirmed. 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

I think as a cyclist who races, I find it hard to like the sprinters, they sit in, they get overly aggresive, they never close gaps win which I suppose is the whole point

Houns

Lolz at the Golf haterz

Golf and Cycling (especially our corner of the Mountain Bike world) are VERY VERY similar

Houns

100% agree with Boardin Bob

However for me it has to be Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

lazybike
    Free Member

iDave…fair point..unless its hilly 😉

iDave
    Free Member

Golf and Cycling (especially our corner of the Mountain Bike world) are VERY VERY similar

care to expand on that unusual observation?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘SPOTY Time!! Let's back our boy’ is closed to new replies.