Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SPOTY – suggestions to change the format
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, apart from all the bleating from people who don’t know who the champ jump jockey is, isn’t it time that SPOTY was updated into a more relevant format for our times?

I’d suggest multi-week show, where the shortlisted competitors each have to try each other’s sports.

Sort of a cross between Superstars and X-factor.

oddjob
    Free Member

Doesn’t that sound like some serious cheapening of the whole thing.

Lets get an F1 driver to try to be a high jumper and get the cyclist riding a horse.

A bit more depth may be OK, but keep the Simon Cowell element out FFS

ourmaninthenorth

Oh dear, I think you’ve taken it seriously..!

sweepy
    Free Member

Yes, we could do away with the sportsmen altogether and use celebrities instead 😀

oddjob
    Free Member

😳

ourmaninthenorth

Cracking idea sweepy.

And perhaps we could give them scores out of ten, and people could use previously unheard phrases like

“you’ve done a good job”

and

“I’m so passionate about [insert this week’s sport].”

and

“Winning this compeition means more to me than anything.”

theotherjonv

Phil Taylor suggested one improvement last night…… keep the 3 presenter format but drop Sue Barker and Gary Lineker

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stop halfwitted sportsmen from making ill informed speeches about wars in countries they know nowt about.

It’s television.
    It has no relevance to real life.

ourmaninthenorth

Or perhaps the final qualifying criteria for the winner would be to deliver a speech to the audience, who could then vote with green and red tomatoes (like Ready Steady Cook).

Speech must make no reference to “After a really tough year…” because they ALL SAY THAT. Of course it’s tough, you ****, it’s what sport is supposed to be.

Macavity
    Free Member

The BBC Sports Personality of the Year : is it not like the Oscars? Only for the people that are directly involved and of no relevance to the general public. SPOTY is a chance for the sports reporters and pundits, hangers-on etc to have something to report in their newspapers.

thepurist

How’s about calling it BBC Sports Person of the Year for starters. It’s years since most sportspeople showed any sort of personality.

Coyote
    Free Member

Don’t forget the “journey”. They all need to go on a “journey”.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SPOTY – suggestions to change the format’ is closed to new replies.