Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Spotify and Ipods
  • Merak

In the interest of all things retro, I’ve always liked the classic iPod and it’s interface.
    I always disliked the iTunes experience though, I realise this is backward engineering but can I get my Spotify content on to my iPod along with my CD collection without ever going near iTunes?

lunge

In a word, no. Spotify content is help on the app/in the cloud, I can’t think of any way to get it onto an iPod even if you used iTunes. Sorry!

DezB
    Free Member

I found a nice free bit of software for the anti-iTunes brigade. Supports drag’n’drop n all that – Copytrans it’s called. But Spotify can go swivel 🙂

Merak

Dez, that’s ideal for my CD’s but I’m a sucker for the Spotify. Looks possible no?

How to Sync Spotify Music to Your iPod

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^from that article

The iPod automatically starts syncing all your music because the Sync All Music to This iPod option is selected by default. Additionally, Spotify syncs your playlists, starred tracks and so on — but only tracks you’ve already bought are actually copied over.

I assume you were wondering if the Spotify tracks you’ve not bought could also be synced.

Merak

Confused now, if by bought you mean Downloaded? I pay a premium per month I probably wrongly assumed that the tracks I had Downloaded would be mine to move onto any device?

lunge

I pay a premium per month I probably wrongly assumed that the tracks I had Downloaded would be mine to move onto any device?

Incorrect I’m afraid. You don’t own the tracks, the premium sub just gives you off line access and no adverts.

prawny

You could get it to work on an ipod touch, classic wouldn’t work though, you can only play spotify tunes through the app.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I think where things have got a little confusing is that Spotify *used* to allow you to purchase and download songs. I suspect that the article above relates to syncing those purchased tracks to old-school iPods. Now it’s all streaming I guess that option has gone.

some info here

Merak

Ok, so accepted. If it’s not possible with Spotify is it possible with another provider? Google or the likes?

DrP

You can download Spotify songs to a device to use offline, but not in ‘mp3’ etc format.
    Basically, if you can run the Spotify app on said device, you can download the songs. BUt you access them via the Spotify app.

DrP

Merak

Damn technological advances, down with this sort of thing.

CountZero

Confused now, if by bought you mean Downloaded? I pay a premium per month I probably wrongly assumed that the tracks I had Downloaded would be mine to move onto any device?

Like most streaming services, you pay to listen, basically renting the music, you don’t own it.
    Which is why I actually buy my music, as CD’s, and occasional downloads.
    I assume streaming is for people who just want aural wallpaper, and really don’t care enough about the music they listen to to actually want to own it.
    I care enough about the music I love to ask artists to sign cd’s for me; you can’t get a download or streamed track autographed.

Merak

Sanctimonious much?

Jamie
    Free Member

I assume streaming is for people who just want aural wallpaper, and really don’t care enough about the music they listen to to actually want to own it.

lol

Oh wait…you’re serious.

sweepy
    Free Member

He might be right tho, that sounds just like me

Merak

This is just gold, genuinely made my night!

Which is why I actually buy my music,
    I care enough about the music I love to ask artists to sign cd’s for me;

lunge

CountZero, ignoring the snobbery, why do you want to own the music? Surely being able to listen to it is the important part?

CountZero

It’s not snobbery, it’s just plain lack of comprehension that people who profess to love music seem to be so casual about it.
    I want to own my music because I want to be able to listen to it when I want to, not at the whim of the sodding internet!
    If I go away on holiday, it’s frequently somewhere where there’s not even a phone signal, let alone data, and God knows there’s vast areas of the UK where there’s barely even a phone connection, and I really cannot be arsed having to wade through endless lists of artists on Spotify, and “If you like that you’ll like this” suggestions, which either recommend stuff I’ve had for years, or stuff I’d never ever buy.
    That’s why I listen to 6Music and use Shazam, because I’m constantly being surprised by stuff I’ve never heard before.
    And whys that then, Merak? Maybe I didn’t phrase it that well, but going to a gig, then meeting the artist afterwards and chatting to them, then being able to ask them to sign a tangible object let’s them know I appreciate what they spend their lives doing, and it’s something that I treasure as well.
    I went to see JD Souther play in a tiny club in Bristol, he’s written a number of the Eagles hits, and written others for a number of other American artists, like Linda Ronstadt, he never has to play live, but does, and I took along my vinyl and CD copies of his 1976 album Black Rose to ask him to sign.
    His face lit up when I handed them over, he was chuffed to bits, and I was thrilled to actually get to meet him.
    I couldn’t do that with a Spotify app! How hard is that to understand?
    I’m passionate about music, it’s been one real constant through my entire life, going back sixty years to my earliest memory, and streaming just seems to devalue it, it’s just a commodity, and that saddens me very much.
    I had two CD’s arrive today, reissues of Curve’s albums Doppelganger and Cuckoo, both remastered and with a load of extra tracks. Because I pre-ordered them early, they came with two square reproductions of the album sleeve illustrations, signed by Dean and Toni of the band. I’m so chuffed to have them, they’ll be framed as soon as possible, I couldn’t have got those with a Spotify account.
    Sorry if others don’t understand my passion for music, but I can’t understand streaming, lose your internet, and you’ve lost all your music; I’ve got 200Gb of music on my computer, plus several hundred CD’s as backups.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Some interesting comments CountZero. I can appreciate what you’re saying about having physical media and that’s why I still have a big rack of vinyl that I can’t imagine ever getting rid of. I probably wouldn’t go 100% streaming only, but streaming really isn’t as bad as you make out.

I want to be able to listen to it when I want to

This is the single biggest argument *for* streaming media services. In the old days, if I wanted to listen to my new album on my Walkman, I had to first record it to cassette, then had to take it with me wherever I was going. If I wanted to listen to something else, it was tough, unless I had the foresight to take other cassettes with me. Even with the rise of portable MP3 players, there is still a bit of effort to sync your MP3 from wherever you ripped it to your device. It’s less effort just marking music for offline use with a streaming service.

not at the whim of the sodding internet!

There’s no escaping the fact that streaming music is not possible without the internet, but this is 2017. How big a problem is that? Streaming music services allow you to have the music locally on your device, which means you don’t need internet all the time. This is still considerably more convenient than my Walkman anecdote above.

A more modern anecdote: I walk out the door of my house and think “I want to listen to X”. Before I get the door locked and get out of range of my wi-fi, that album is downloaded to my phone for offline use.

I really cannot be arsed having to wade through endless lists of artists on Spotify, and “If you like that you’ll like this” suggestions, which either recommend stuff I’ve had for years, or stuff I’d never ever buy.

That sometimes annoys me too. It’s like record shopping when I’m not in the mood to go record shopping. But when I *am* in the mood, the recommendations are often good. I’ve discovered more great music via Spotify and Apple Music than I ever did via my local record shops. Either way, you don’t have to look at those recommendations.

[EDIT] – one of the benefits of Apple Music is that is merges your own library of ripped Mp3s with the streaming library. Long story short, you get fewer recommendations of stuff you already have, cos it knows you already have it.

I’m passionate about music, it’s been one real constant through my entire life, going back sixty years to my earliest memory, and streaming just seems to devalue it, it’s just a commodity, and that saddens me very much.

I kind of get this. I had some time to kill in town recently, and popped into HMV. It was a delight to see vinyl back on the shelves, but I was a little sad that record shopping in the traditional sense is no longer part of my life. It was one of life’s little pleasures, despite buying some crap over the years 😆 Great to see it making a strong comeback tho’.

I had two CD’s arrive today, reissues of Curve’s albums Doppelganger and Cuckoo

I’ve not listened to Curve for years. I only have one 12″ single by them, but fortunately my streaming music subscription means I can listen to them whenever I want. I shall do so now.

As I mentioned above CountZero, I’m with you on some of this. I just felt – from reading your post – that you’re only seeing half the story regarding streaming music. I would have thought a combo of “real” media and streaming media would be nirvana for you.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Spotify and Ipods’ is closed to new replies.