Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Sports Personality of the Year .. Wiggo or Cav?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay so Sport Personality of the Year if Wiggo and Cav get nominated who would you vote for? Problem is if both get nominated it's going to split the cycling field and I think neither would end up winning? I think if Jenson Buttons win's Fomula 1 he'll probably win (not that I want him to!!).

So would you vote for Wiggo or Cav!???

tankslapper
    Free Member

Share it? 😉

AndyP
    Free Member

of the two – Wiggins

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It'll be a chavballer again, no doubt.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Unless England win the Ashes – when a cricketer might get a look in. Flintoff? at least he is a personality. Mind you Cav certainly is as well.

Button if he wins the F1 campionship

glenh
    Free Member

Wiggo over Cav

lookmanohands
    Free Member

They both deserve reccognition(sp?) and I was there at 24/12 screaming at the TV on Saturday willing wiggo up the Ventoux, but personality….Really!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

neither, it will be from another sport. No mainstream channel covers the TDF

I_Ache
    Free Member

Button if he wins.

Pook

maybe if they'd won it….

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Personality? Wiggo definitely.

IHN

I think Wiggo's is the greater acheivement.

And a football player hasn't won since 2001.

case
    Free Member

Cav for me.

On a related note after this years tour I have 2 questions.

1) who is the best British cyclist at the moment
    2) who is the greatest British cyclist of all time?

criteria and qualifications up to you and open to all disciplines.

glenp
    Free Member

Sorry, but Cav is easily the best in the world at his discipline, and you can't really say that for BW.

IHN

Cav is easily the best in the world at his discipline, and you can't really say that for BW

But there's a strong argument that Wiggo's discipline is considerably harder. I think that his is the greater acheivement.

Blackhound

Best Brit is tricky in a way. Can you see pasy Hoy or Pendleton on the track.

On the road though probably Cav at the moment. Best ever? hard to look past Robert Millar. 4th in TdF, KoM in TdF, Giro and Vuelta and nearly won Vuelta (2nd). Results and longevity puts RM top

aracer
    Free Member

If Wiggins had won overall then maybe he'd stand a chance. Will likely be Button if he hangs on (though mathematically LH could still be F1 champion!) That's assuming of course Flintoff doesn't continue to star and we win back the Ashes.

TBH I don't quite see that Wiggins deserves it anyway. Yes to a cyclist finishing 4th is extremely good and ranks up with winning 6 stages, but he didn't win and didn't win a stage – in fact he wasn't even top 3 on a stage apart from stage 1 (and TTT).

igm

At least both Cav and Wiggins have a personality – you might not always like it (in Cav's case) but it's undeniably there.

Unlike certain other winners.

apidya
    Free Member

Personally, I think that politics (and political correctness) will mean that another sport with get SPY this year. British Cycling and Chris Hoy got it last year.

However, out of the two, I think Wiggins is the bigger achievement, and his interviews have been much more fun (top of Verbier, discussing the reinstatement of his small time gap in the bunch finish) than Cavs.

Not that Cavs 6 stages are to be dismissed though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1) Gee
    2) Peaty

In a branch of cycling we actualy win stuff in from time to time.

trailmonkey

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    It'll be a chavballer again, no doubt.

IHN – Member
    ……………………..

And a football player hasn't won since 2001.

The Cap'n wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of his prejudice.

igm

case – Member
    Cav for me.

On a related note after this years tour I have 2 questions.

Nicole Cooke?

crash_gav
    Free Member

Ashes win, it is going to be Flintoff. Especially now he is retiring from test cricket. Button if not.

Difficult to separate the 2 for me as both are inspiring and have been along with the track peeps for years. All this nonsense about Cav and the TDF just sums up our total inability to enjoy our champions. Did we put down Cipollini, Petacchi and of course Abdoujaparov (my 3 year old at the time used to astound people by saying his name in conversation).

Why do we confuse personality with skill, determination and courage?

mrmo
    Free Member

greatest british cyclist of current times is without any guess work Nicole Cooke, of all time Beryl Burton?

as far as male cyclists? most don't cut it at world level, and certainly not outside a tiny little box.

nickc

Okay so Sport Personality of the Year if Wiggo and Cav get nominated who would you vote for?

Erm neither really, how would you convince the rest of the non-cycling world that coming 4th, and erm, not coming anywhere, or even winning a jersey in one event, warrants being Sport personality?

It's a minority sport in this country, Olympic years aside, it's not on the radar.

MisterT

definitely Nicole Cooke… world champion, winner of Tour de france femmine, winner Giro d'italia, olympic champion, World Cup winner overall… just look at her Palmares and you won't find a better (as in more acomplished) british athelete…. year after year she's been at the top of her game.

jimmy

I'm with t.i.n.a.s.

Multiple world cup winner, current world champ… Will MTBing ever even get mentioned? Will it my arse.

I_Ache
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

1) Gee
    2) Peaty

Really?

Have a look at the points standing so far this year and tell me you wouldn't change the first answer.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(mr MC posting) in relation to cav v wiggo, wiggo achieved what he did out of his own effort with mininal support, cav was the final link in a very hard working chain (and has always been quick to say so himself). If he hadnt been there being towed, renshaw would have taken the final stage he had such a lead on every other rider.

For a satirical spin…

British Guy Did Not Win Tour De France

MisterT

but if I had to choose between just Cav or Wiggo, then Cav has a more fun personality, and whilst Wiggo is the nicer/more interesting guy, he's also a bit too restrained and controls his public persona so much he comes across as not interesting…. so I'd choose Cav on the basis his personality is more interesting and I love his cocky self assured ballsy self… i.e. who else has said "I'm gonna win on the Champs-Elysees"… when there are umpteen other contenders and teams who'll work their asses off to win that stage… and then has the ability to actualy deliver and do it… cav does!

BigJohn

The tour is 21 races in 23 days and Cav won 6 of them. Absolutely brilliant.

nickc

Earlier Italian cyclist Franco Pellizotti was crowned King of the Mountains, Britain's Bradley Wiggins was King of the Fields and Streams, and Hanuman, the Hindu demi-god, was named King of the Monkeys.

From the mash … 😆

mudshark
    Free Member

I just hope that their achievements are mentioned and there's a bit of a clip of the Tour – I doubt this will happen but if/when Cav gets green he would deserve the prize.

BigDummy
    Free Member

What colour jersey does the King of the Fields and Streams wear? I feel a replica is called for. 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

greatest british cyclist of current times is without any guess work Nicole Cooke

Though the question was "at the moment", and she didn't win the women's TdF this year…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yea, he said who's the best, not who's winning though

If with no knowlage of the track or conditions, you were asked who's going to win, out of Gee or Peaty, I'd go with Gee.

speaker2animals

Cav sounds like a football player while Bradley actually sounds interested and interesting. I'm not wanting to knock his brilliant achievement but I don't think he has any sort of personality.

Best British rider presently eg riding now has to be Nicole. Totally overlooked. Personally found it offensive how much exposure Hoy got last year in comparison. But that is just ignorance of a minority sport by the great unwashed.

IMHO of course.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Interesting I asked if Wiggo AND Cav got nominated who would people vote for! There's a lot of slagging off of cyclists .. why oh why? they are both awesome achievements in my opinion both completed in different ways, styles and efforts. I think I'd have to say Cav as I just love his ballsy, "who gives a shi**" attitude as so far he's delivered what he's promised!! Do still like Wiggo and think awesome achievement though .. oh dilemma …..

as for Ashes No NO NO NO NO!! women's perspective we loose by 200 runs yet it's still a draw … what a boring sport IMO (before people start slatting that too!).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Munge chick – its not boring – its subtle

dano
    Free Member

I think cav is a numpty

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Sports Personality of the Year .. Wiggo or Cav?’ is closed to new replies.