Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Sportives, err what’s the point?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve never done one, not even looked into them before today but from what I can see is that they are a open road bike ride that you pay to enter, not even a race.
    So there is one local to me that’s fully booked, then I thought hang on it’s all public roads if I want to ride that route who’s to stop me? (yes I am being a arse)
    Then I recal all the times I’ve seen comments about training for sportives, but surely they are no different to a reliability trial or fast 100 sunday morning club run that any old punter can ride for free or in some cases a fiver.

uplink
    Free Member

A bit like most running marathons etc. then?

oldgit
    Free Member

Well sort of, but you don’t often get big groups of runners just having a 26.2 mile run do you. Where as you get hundreds of free to enter 100 mile club runs every Sunday

sofatester
    Free Member

Being and arse – Yes
    Pointless – Yes

Getting people to ride further/faster/harder, therefore getting fitter and healther – probabaly

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Good fun, good craic. Feed stops to top up your bottles, get some energy bars, usually well signed routes, don’t get the club run selection committee secretly trying to rip your legs off just to prove a point.

sofatester
    Free Member

“club run selection committee secretly trying to rip your legs off just to prove a point” 😆

Can i quote you on that during my next “club” run?

oldgit
    Free Member

Food stops & support good points.

paulsoxo when did club run selection commitees ever do such things, really the idea!

zaskar
    Free Member

Because it’s fun!

Thats why you’re riding!

Personal challenge and grin factor. :mrgreen:

clubber
    Free Member

No point to sportives just like there’s no point to riding bikes other than for transport in getting from A to B.

It’s fun/challenging/etc. That works for me.

mrmo
    Free Member

and what is the point in Meridas, reliability Trials, Audaxes, in fact what is the point in riding, a car is quicker, and you don’t get wet if it rains.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Is it just me being a cynic 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

How about, what’s the point of life in general?

Just shut up and ride…

thomthumb
    Free Member

sometimes it’s easier to let someone else organise a route, feed stations, sociable/ meeting old friends new faces etc.

mrmo
    Free Member

On a slightly more helpful point, did the Dragonride last year, some people take it far to seriously, as i got rear ended stopping for traffic lights!!! they were a Londoner so maybe it is a london thing and hence the media is so focused on cyclists jumping red lights?

I look at it as a way of seeing different places, a bit of a challenge, but yes the entry prices are too high IMO.

oldgit
    Free Member

Club run with mates = fast, chalenging and fun oh and free.

Sportive = as above with picnic stops and a cash register.

oldgit
    Free Member

Actually come to think of it, yes I’m pretty certain we once rode past a shop were you could buy food and drink, did’nt have to book or anything.

BigDummy
    Free Member

So don’t do it then! Bloody minded so-and-so that ye are! 😀

I like them. I tend to go harder, over slightly different roads, and I tend to go furtyer than I would of a normal Sunday morning. I don’t travel far for them, but it’s interesting to do a different patch.

I normally ride Surrey Hills. On sunday I did 93 miles with the Essex Roads club out of Billericay. They brought the bread pudding, and marked out a delightful 93 mile circular route and gave me a route card for it. I rode round and they gave me a cup of tea at the end.

I don’t understand why anyone trains for a local one rather than the Marmotte or whatever, but personally I do them for a change of scene.

🙂

trb
    Free Member

utterly pointless, but a good excuse to get together with mates and ride somewhere you wouldn’t normally ride without the hassle of planning up a route, stopping to argue over the map, getting lost, finding the only shop in the country that is closed when you’re about to bonk etc.
    Plus if you get dropped there will be another group along soon that you can tag onto.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Sounds like its not for you oldgit – just means more places for the rest of us …

clubber
    Free Member

og – if you’re determined not to see the point you won’t. You’re absolutely right, of course and yet the fact that it’s an event and not just a club run does make a difference to lots of people. They’re the ones who’ll get something from doing a sportive. If you can’t see that then you won’t and there’s no point doing one.

druidh
    Free Member
    oldgit
    Free Member

“Sounds like its not for you oldgit – just means more places for the rest of us …”

Well I could’nt get in could I. Ipso facto they are now pointless as far as I’m concerned. (walks off holding his ball)

willyboy
    Free Member

£54 for the etape caledonia – that seems to be taking the piss somewhat.
    I like sportives, but this seems a little extortionate. Its only 81 miles as well.

andywhit
    Free Member

Don’t they close the roads off for the Etape Caledonia ?

FuzzyWuzzy

I can see the point of sportives (I’ve entered a couple this year) however they are a complete rip-off. If the HONC can do what they did for £13 and still donate to charity then sportives like the Dragon Ride can’t justify their entry fees apart from the organiser needing a new car or a summer holiday. The sportives I’ve paid for this year will have to seriously impress me if they want my £30+ again next year, chances are I’ll just ride them unofficially

druidh
    Free Member

willyboy – Member

£54 for the etape caledonia – that seems to be taking the piss somewhat.
    I like sportives, but this seems a little extortionate. Its only 81 miles as well.

3,500 riders seem to have disagreed with you.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If yuo don’t see the point then that’s fine, there are plenty that do, I enjoy them. It’s something to aim for and to train for. The Etape is expensive yes, but it’s closed roads and the yellow mavic support cars will be there 😉

finbar
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t take up triathlon if you think sportives are expensive.

oldgit
    Free Member

Stopped doing Triathlons in the early eighties when they became too short to bother with.

A picture riding in front of the yellow Mavic cars is worth anyones 54 quid, I love all that.

willyboy
    Free Member

i enjoy them too, but i was just saying that £54 was expensive – you can do the spud riley for £20 and its a longer route.
    I don’t think the leg breaker cost me more than £20 either – fantastic if you haven’t done it – unfortunately its not on this year.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Cost is a very good point and is a reason I like Audax rides. Entry is generally sub £5 and cake concentrations are higher. Fewer try-hards too.

However the organisation can be a bit patchy. I can live with that for a £1.50 entry though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Fewer try-hards too Is that a good thing?

AndyP
    Free Member

Depends. On the whole, no.
    If it’s the sort of c0ck who half-wheels the entire way round the Cheshire Cat,when they’re not shouting at people to get out of their way, then it’s a good thing. However you then lose the satisfaction of seeing them standing broken and bleeding by the side of the road as they overcook a descent.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I find ppl getting overly competitive on events that are not competitive tiresome.

In fact maybe it is the lack of arseholes, not try-hards, that I like.

sofatester
    Free Member

That’s why i like STW 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

People being competitive in a sportive doesn’t bother me. From my experience they are usually only competitive with their club mates, which is fine.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Competing an event is fine, having a giggle with your mates pretty much essential, being overly competitive is, in my view, tiresome.

0091paddy
    Free Member

They’re for people who don’t want to race.

footstomper
    Free Member

Agree with a few of the above comments about the cost of some sportive rides, anything above £20 squid is a rip off 👿
    The good points of riding a sportive away from your normal stumping ground is; they are usually well organised, the routes are generally traffic free and you get fed 😛 You also get to places you have never ridden before which you can then add to a future ride 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not strictly true, I race too and clearly from the sportives I’ve ridden there are plenty of ‘racers’ doing them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Sportives, err what’s the point?’ is closed to new replies.