Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Sport Relief Million Pound Bike Ride – Not a rant.
  • SprocketJockey
    Free Member

After being initially cynical, found it weirdly inspiring. Patrick Kielty has also gone up in my estimation. Miranda Hart seemed to do OK too to say she was the least fit of the lot.

billybob
    Free Member

I thought exactly the same as you SJ – however the cynic in me says it was never going to be edited in a way that painted them in a bad light.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

True, but to be fair, I think there were enough comedy dismounts to dent the biggest ego. It's bad enough when you forget you're clipped in and keel over at the lights in front of a Ginsters lorry, let alone a few million viewers.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it, until Walliams came out with something along the lines of 'suffering whilst doing this brings you closer to the people you're trying to help'. David, chapeaux for helping to raise the money, but come on mate, you just fell off a pushbike – you are not starving, living in abject poverty or scraping an existence that most of us cant even comprehend. Get a grip, please.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

you just fell off a pushbike – you are not starving, living in abject poverty or scraping an existence that most of us cant even comprehend. Get a grip, please.

Oh I think he's got a grip alright.

It was a great programme, thoroughly enjoyable and I'm not even a fan of anyone who was taking part.

llama

As a cyclist I watched it and thought hmmm not that challenging. BUT it did look like it was a real challenge for all of them (apart from Kielty who seemed fit and Carr who didn't seem to bother but was entertaining).

Still nowhere near as impressive as:
    Izzard
    Dallaglio cycling between all 6 nation capitals
    That one who went up the amazon in a kayak
    or even Walliams swimming the channel

Look on the web site – some woman challenged herself to swim a mile …. well I guess thats a **** long way for some

DezB
    Free Member

Kielty may have gone up in some people's estimation but he still has no right to be of "celebrity" status. Talentless dork 😐

willard

Watched about 600 miles of it last night and was impressed with Kielty, but put off by Cotton (who I find annoying as hell). I'd like to have done something similar, but given that my road bike is almost as old as me, has only 5 working gears and a rear wheel that has a similar shape to most pizzas, it's not likely.

But… I shall be running 6 miles on Monday for charidee, so maybe I'll be able to do my bit. Given my recent injuries, I think "suffering" is/will be an accurate description of me on Monday afternoon.

mudshark
    Free Member

I enjoyed the show but do wonder how they picked the participants. Why stick with Carr when he can only do a day? Why pick Miranda when she's not really well enough? OK, they all did well but it just seems odd. Patrick, David and Davina seemed sensible choices so maybe a few odd balls were needed?

NJA

It may not have been the hardest challenge ever, but watching Davina after getting off her bike on the first night having ridden through the highlands at -15c with ice in her hair gave me a bit more respect for the 'Celebs'

-15c on your bike is proper cold – I would have stayed on the bus.

Blackhound

Llama – the woman who challenged herself to a mile was doing it in the Serpentine at 0800 this morning. Think she swims regularly for fitness but outdoors in Spring won't be easy. Shelagh Fogerty is her name, R5 live presenter.

As some have said riding 24 hours in a team is not easy, four days for untrained cyclists would be difficult, especially in cold – no matter how much you earn!

I think the record is about 48 hours so a STW relay team would still need to average ~20mph to beat the individual record (Still Andy WIlkinson?)

ourmaninthenorth

I think the record is about 48 hours so a STW relay team would still need to average ~20mph to beat the individual record (Still Andy WIlkinson?)

44 hours-ish – Gethin Butler (2001)

Ti29er
    Free Member

Get Kielty a bike and get him doing some testing – I reckon he could be fairly handy.

This is a man who sobbed for hours and hours after his first ride and ever subsequent ride.
    This is a man, who when we saw him on the test equipment was making such a meal of it, he was neither dripping with sweat nor even flushed with effort.

The man's a complete nancy-boy.
    With something of a drink problem.

Kielty may have gone up in some people's estimation

Who? Only a woman would find any pity in his behaviour. Ever time he appeared my hackles went up.

They raised lots of money for some seriously deserving causes and people in real need, but please, spare me a man sobbing for hours on a bus 'cause he's away from his family and cycling a bike for an hour or two!

That's the reality of what we were shown, you just need to read between the lines.

I thought R1 did a fantastic job of raising soooo much money. Very, very impressed, but spare us a grown man sobbing because he's riding a bicycle up a hill.

Why did they have Jimmy Carr there at all? Did every other celeb say "No" to the project?

DezB
    Free Member

Gosh, you actually dislike Kielty more than I do !

Ti29er
    Free Member

I had no opinion on him before last night.
    Barely registers on anything I do or watch or listen to.

But now I know.
    Bring back National Service – what-what!

IanMunro
    Free Member

On the plus side, I still want to wake up next to Devina, so all's right in the world.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I think Carr is due to be David Walliams best man, hence the fact he was joining in. Not a great advertisment for himself though

Mounty_73

Regardless of who, how or what….its all for charity and I am sure it will make a difference to the lives of a few people…

I am just about to watch it on bbc iplayer 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Dev? Do you mean DAVina?

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

they were sponsored by altura which seemed to cause some of the cold issues they were having..it wasnt even the best kit they do.odd.they could have given dolan a bit of free pr! goo dprogram though…the scottish bit looked very pretty

BadlyWiredDog

Who? Only a woman would find any pity in his behaviour.

Clang… You're kind of like a posh version of Hora aren't you. Keep it up.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Thought the scenery in Scotland in the snow was visually quite stunning, and Davina's frozen hair – what a stalwart!

I did think Miranda would have been more of a comic, a litte more light hearted about the whole experience, at least Carr injected some humour into the event.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Sport Relief Million Pound Bike Ride – Not a rant.’ is closed to new replies.