Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • sport relief
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

ok ive text my quid in already… the team (7 celebreties) started cycling yesterday by road from 'Jon o groats' and hope to make it to 'Lands End' over 4 days i think… the temp overnite got to -15 degrees.. brrrrr
    you can 'track' them as they go if you check out this site…all for a good cause…as usual…

http://www.sportrelief.com/whats-on/challenges/cycle

Jamie
    Free Member

Since Eddie Izzard's achievement last year, i just cannot get up any enthusiasm for other sports relief efforts. Will chuck 'em a quid tho.

tracknicko
    Free Member

especially since its 'relay' style. 26 miles each per day? hmmm.

BigJohn

Where can I get one of those MILF READY stickers?

tinsy
    Free Member

Did you see the one show last night? Chritine Bleakley & the water skiing the channel looks a real tough one.

PrinceJohn

It's not that impressive – when you consider the kill a man for his giro thing last year & the Blue Peter presenter canoeing the length of the amazon, & as someone else mentioned Eddie Izzard.

What are they doing about 170miles each across four days? Many non cyclists put in better than that for charity.

Shearer & Chiles last year we much more impressive with 355miles in two days.

Stu_N

7 of them so they are riding 2 hour stints twice a day for 4 days on the trot and living on a bus in between.

It's been effing freezing up here too – I've been struggling to keep hands and feet warm on my 30 min commute, let alone 2 hours overnight in Glencoe. Even if -15 is an exaggeration, it would still be very very cold.

I'm not sure I'd fancy it TBH.

PrinceJohn

but again your kit is what you can afford, they'll have been given much better stuff than the average charity rider.

njee20
    Free Member

They've got Altura clothing, don't be too sure!

I don't really think it's a huge challenge, admittedly not particularly pleasant in this weather, I'm surprised they've not crashed on the ice yet frankly. But it annoys me that they're making it out to be some unbelievable superhuman feat. They keep saying that 'most people take at least 12 days to do LEJOG', for starters, a lot of people do it far quicker than that, and secondly, they're not even doing the full route.

Eddie Izzard's effort was nothing short of incredible.

Stu_N

Well, I think it is a pretty impressive effort from all of them. It's not as arduous as Kili, canoeing the Amazon or Izzard's marathons but I think it's probably harder than Mayhem or SiTS in a team. And I don't think any of them are regular cyclists.

Judging by my colleagues, most of the population is amazed that a human being can cycle something between 6 and 15 10 miles into work, do a full days' work and ride home again most days without being completely knackered.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Harder than mayhem or SITS to do 4 hours in 24hrs? with celebrity style refuelling, massages and sleeping onboard the team bus no doubt.

Im sorry but it suggests something about our nation as a whole that we think people in the prime of their life agewise are impressive for doing 4hrs of excersize a day.

njee20
    Free Member

They said they were gonna do 3 hour stints between 7 of them?

So 3 hours on and 18 hours off? That's not harder than Mayhem IMO!

alecangus
    Free Member

Does the first leg really involve 29,000ft of vertical climb as reported in the Metro or have I read that wrong?

njee20
    Free Member

Seems plausible, they've been widely reporting it.

Stu_N

I thought it was 2 hour stints and #7 (Jimmy Carr maybe) wasn't joining until about halfway, so they are doing roughly 50 miles/ 4 hours a day for 4 days.

I think the living in a bus and the fact they are going to be tired and kanckered after 4 days on and off the bus will be the killer, not so much the actual riding.

Harry_the_Spider

Does it matter how hard it is?

Surely the point is to raise some money and 7 celebs doing something like this will generate 100 times the amount that Joe Nobody would if he cycled to the moon.

Last year people were moaning because Moyles & Co. had porters on the climb. So what if they did, they made enough money to buy a vast number of mosquito nets that will save lives. Which is what it is all about.

I'll pay just to see Christine Bleakley in a wet suit. As far as i'm concerned she can forget about the water skiing bit.

crazy-legs

Does the first leg really involve 29,000ft of vertical climb as reported in the Metro or have I read that wrong?

The combined climbing of all the cyclists (were they all to ride at the same time) ie 7 cyclists each doing 4000ft climbing.
    I think they call it "massaging the data"…

It's a very worthwhile cause though, it's got a lot of publicity and who knows, maybe it could just tempt some people out of their cars and onto bikes.

njee20
    Free Member

I still think it'd be more likely to get people cycling if they pointed out how easy it was to get out on a bike, not saying that it's a superhuman feat of endurance!

elaineanne
    Free Member

just for those who mite be interested.. ! the team are currently near to Lockerbie..so they will hit the border this evening… hope they have decent layers on its rather chilly !… i guess they arent wearing the traditional Kilts !

Highlandlogger
    Free Member

Saw them in Dingwall last night, 6 riders (Jimmy hadn't joined em at that point), 3 double decker coaches !, 4 or 5 cars, 2 or 3 vans and a catering truck, oh along with about 60 PR types running about with mobiles stuck to their ears.

They certainly aren't advertising the 'green' side of cycling with that circus.

Still a good effort by the celebs though, and the nightshift down the side of Loch Ness by the clear sky/ full moon must have been stunning, albeit cold !!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I think it's a huge effort by 6 of the "celebreties," mainly because they've not all been arguing about staying on the bike all day, just in the hope of not having to listen to Fearne "amazing" Cotton witter the **** on!!!

DaveGr
    Free Member

but I think it's probably harder than Mayhem or SiTS in a team

Far easier, they didn't have to drive through the night to get their entry in on time 😆

elaineanne
    Free Member

they are now somewhere near shrewsbury…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘sport relief’ is closed to new replies.