Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sponsorship at cycle races.
  • project
    Free Member

Not the amateur stuff, where good local companies sponsor a race or series,and help the local ecconomy, like the Brownbacks, at lee Quarry.

But the likes of the Tour Series, and Tour of Britain and TDF, where multi million pound companies brand everytthing with their logo, in the very faint hope that we the punter will buy the product.

If i had the money i would probaly buy a Skoda or a Fiat, and a boardman bike, as they seem to put a lot into cycling.

So what non bike related products have the rest of you bought or will buy because they sponsor a proffesional cycling team .

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d have to Google half of Le Tour sponsors to find out what they sold first.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I honestly believe than I’m immune to that sublimanal advertising. But for a recent birthday my wife asked me out of the blue what make of watch I’d like.

“Ohhh, I dunno, Tissot. But a pair of socks is just as good”.

Thought about it afterwards –

And moto GP
    http://www.gpnow.com/motogp/1561/tissot-remains-official-motogp-timekeeper/

I’m a sucker after all!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I was amazed by this bit of sponsorship of a pro Tour team:

Do you know what product Predictor make?

Not saying a company that makes a pregnancy testing kit shoon’t sponsor a pro cycling team, just that it was very odd to see, that’s all.

Mind you, it’s made me and I’d guess others aware of the brand and product, so maybe great sponsorship after all. I dunno.

donsimon
    Free Member

I was amazed by this bit of sponsorship of a pro Tour team:

A part of sponsorship is not directed at the public or end users but to allow clients to go on jollies, VIP tents, rubbing shoulders with the pros etc…

convert

I bought my first mapei floor adhesive yesterday and it gave me a warm glow inside! There have been some very random companies that have done big cycle sponsorship that you don’t really clock until you go to Europe and see the brands doing their “day job”.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Classic team top. Z! was a kid’s clothing company.

beej

I know if I’m ever in Italy and in need of bottled gas, there’s only one brand for me. Ditto for France and agricultural tubing.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Veering slightly off-topic; the La Vie Claire Toshiba team top, by Benetton and inspired by Mondrian:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wrongness:

scratch
    Free Member

I had to google HTC the other day.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Sponsorhip/advertising is a funny one. It’s hard to believe people will be influenced enough by it to be worth the millions spent, OTOH companies presumably wouldn’t shell it out in the first place without a pretty good idea that it’ll work out for them. Maybe it’s a credibility thing?

donsimon
    Free Member
    uplink
    Free Member

I wouldn’t know most of the name sponsors in the Tour de France TBH

lets see ………

Europcar – yes
    Leopard – no
    BMC – no
    Liquigas – no but I could guess
    Euskatel – no but I could guess
    Sky – yes
    Saxo Bank – no but I could guess
    Garmin – yes
    HTC Highroad HTC yes, Highroad no
    Lampre – no
    Quick Step – no
    Cofidis – no
    FDJ – no
    Katusha – no
    Movistar – no
    Omega Pharma Lotto – no but I could guess
    Astana – no
    Radioshack – yes
    Vacansoleil – no but I could guess
    Saur-Sojasun – no
    Rabobank – no but I could guess

donsimon
    Free Member

Europcar – yes
    Leopard – no
    BMC – no
    Liquigas – no but I could guess
    Euskatel – no but I could guess – Mobile phone company from Northern Spain where there is a very healthy cycling scene.
    Sky – yes
    Saxo Bank – no but I could guess
    Garmin – yes
    HTC Highroad HTC yes, Highroad no
    Lampre – no
    Quick Step – no
    Cofidis – no – A bank, better an online loan company.
    FDJ – no
    Katusha – no
    Movistar – no – The new corporate name for Telefonica, the BT of Spain.
    Omega Pharma Lotto – no but I could guess
    Astana – no
    Radioshack – yes
    Vacansoleil – no but I could guess
    Saur-Sojasun – no- Sojasun- A food company that produces soy based food products.
    Rabobank – no but I could guess

Don’t forget that there is probably a much bigger pro cycling scene in mainland Europe, therefore the sponsorhip hails from and is aimed at us. Just look at the number of Spanish riders against the number of Brits.

maccruiskeen

Sponsorship and advertising aren’t the same thing. Sponsorship can be about the company involving themselves in something they have an enthusiasm for. The profit for them doesn’t necessarily come in the form of sales

I met a guy who runs a forklift truck dealership in Glasgow when he was the sponsor of quite a sizeable contemporary art prize. He wasn’t doing so in the expectation that the Glasgow arts audience would start buying his forklift trucks. He did it for a number of more subtle reasons, principle of which was “I wanted there to be at least one day a month when me and my staff didn’t talk about forklift trucks”

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Double post

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So people would actually buy stuff just because they sponsor a bike race???
    What if it turned out to be rubbish?

Would you then stop watching the race they sponsor?

convert

Sadly I think I might. I know I looked a lot more favourably on Linda McCartney stuff after they sponsored the only British team at the time to try having a proper crack at continental racing (although it didn’t turn out too well!); Jacob’s Creek wine went back on the shopping list after they supported the tour down under; and I drank a shed load of Michelob low carb beer after doing well in a triathlon they sponsored in London (but most of that was given to me so maybe that dosn’t count!). I must be very shallow! Havn’t felt the need to buy any Predictor (^^^^) yet though!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Quickstep floors are shit.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’ve chosen certain products over others, due to sponsorship, but only really where products are equal. For example I joined GMB (the union) over unison and TGWU when I first started my job as they sponsored the ice hockey team i supported and all the unions were as slack as each other.

seahouse
    Free Member

I watch Sky

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sponsorship at cycle races.’ is closed to new replies.