Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sponsoring people
  • emma82
    Free Member

So, how often do you mind sponsoring people or randomly donating when people come round with buckets? I usually don’t mind putting a few quid here and there but in one week at work I got shafted for £35 here and there for not one charity I support. I’m only ranting because someone I know who I actually was going to sponsor to do a 10k run (which peeves a bit as she runs 20k a day anyway-thought charity stuff was supposed to be a challenge??) put a status on crapbook today about the miserable ***** who can’t be bothered to sponsor her. Wtf is she to dictate how people spend money they are going to give to charity. Honestly. In true mumsnet style aibu? .

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve started donating my entire monthly salary to a charity I’ve founded called ‘The Save the Yeti Foundation’.

All donations are gratefully recieved as Yetis like living extremely lavish lifestyles.

emma82
    Free Member

You sod, now I have to give you money to? Well, I suppose if it keeps you in a shiny well groomed rug it’s not all bad ….

druidh
    Free Member

I will soon be passing the bucket round here too 😳 but I take your points about (a) the never-ending demand and (b) the type of event people come up with. Mostly, I decide at the start of the year where my giving is likely to go. However, I do occasionally give more to friends in order to encourage them.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thank you!

I need to put in an order of potted shrimp tomorrow and splurged a lot of money on vintage armangac this morning.

Edit – Actually donate it straight to Druidh. I think I may sponsor him too… even if what he’s doing is easy 😉

aracer
    Free Member

YANBU

Dobbo

Getting pressured to sponsor a mate who is doing a ‘charity challenge’ that is a trek over Africa is a bit ripe IMO, it’s a sponsored holiday. £4k needs to be raised of which only £2k goes to the charity, what’s that all about? I’m resisting.

iDave
    Free Member

Yanbu, earlier

emma82
    Free Member

Druidh I don’t mind giving it’s just the attitude of some people, if you set up a just giving page and I chose not to donate I’ll do it by not going on the site and donating, I don’t like being hassled and spoken to like I’m a bad person because I’ve chosen not to donate

Yeti – ill send 2 million your way immediately 🙂

Aracer – spot on 🙂 Lol

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thanks Em. You’re still a bad person though.

druidh
    Free Member

Dobbo – Member
    Getting pressured to sponsor a mate who is doing a ‘charity challenge’ that is a trek over Africa is a bit ripe IMO, it’s a sponsored holiday. £4k needs to be raised of which only £2k goes to the charity, what’s that all about? I’m resisting.

Yeah – we covered one of those last week. In my case, it’s a £2k minimum to participate, of which around half is used for support costs. However, I’m gong to donate the whole £2k myself, so anything over and above that goes straight to the charity. That way, no one is paying for my “holiday”. Of course, it could be argued that I should simply hand over the whole £2k to charity and expect nothing for it….

emma82
    Free Member

I know, better to be bad than boring though. 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nah… Druidh… the way you’re doing it makes me want to donate to you and your cause more.

£2k is way more than it would cost to do it yourself so you’re already donating >£1k out of your own pocket to the charity. Your also doing something pretty epic which you’ll enjoy, but won’t always be easy.

Chapeau I say.

emsz
    Free Member

Can’t give you any money I’ve just spent y last bist on getting seriously pissed.

night my loves

coffeeking
    Free Member

I dont sponsor anyone I’ve sponsored in the last 12 mnths without good reason, and I point blank refuse to sponsor more than 1 a month. I’d rather donate time, effort and skills than cash TBH.

surfer
    Free Member

I dont like to sponsor people to do something I would actually choose to do for fun.
    For example a sponsored bike ride/run/walk etc.

iDave
    Free Member

I only sponsor people doing what I consider challenging, so 10k runs are a no no.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m doing an event later this year that has an entry fee that I’ve paid and also has a minimum level of sponsorship. As.it’s not the worlds biggest challenge and I’m doing it because I’ll enjoy it, I’m meeting that cost myself. I object to people asking for money to do things they enjoy so I’m not going to do the same.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sponsoring people’ is closed to new replies.