Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Spokes spokes spokes…
  • gcaster
    Free Member

Where do I start?

I want some decent lightweight spokes for general all mountain use.
    DT Chammpion seem quite heavy considering the DT Revs are nearly half the weight. I can’t find much else though.

Where do I look?

RealMan
    Free Member

What’s wrong with dt revs?

Onzadog
    Free Member

what weight are you, what type and style of riding?

gcaster
    Free Member

DT Revs are stated as for XC Racing use only.
    I’ll be taking the bike to the lakes with me and hammering down Walna Scar every time. That’s about as much abuse they’ll be getting regularly (along with general trail centre use) but the bike may accompany me to the Alps next summer and I don’t want my spokes snapping on me!
    Having said that, I am only about 65-70kg.

Dickyboy

Don’t know how the weights compare but I use Sapim Race spokes from Spa Cycles on all my wheel builds

Northwind

Been very pleased with the Comps in my current set… The Supercomps in my Traversees do well but I’ve managed to break a couple without trying too hard, they’re light but I think maybe just slightly too weak for a hard-used AM wheelset. Or maybe it’s just that there’s not very many of them.

Either way I’d use Comps again no bother, not totally sure I’d use anything less strong.

mildred

In my experience the quality of build has a lot to do with the wheels strength, with the spokes being just one factor. A few years ago I needed a wheel building really quickly for a BSX race the following day. I took it into my LBS (probikes at Hucknall). He’s predominantly a Roadie shop and the only spokes he had in the correct length were Rev’s.

Frankly it looked odd compared to the front wheel – noticeably skinnier spokes; however that wheel lasted about 2 years of BMX track use without me having to touch it. I know a good lakes pounding will put different stress on the wheel, but at 14.5 stone I put a fair old amount on a wheel too. In other words it was really well built and the fact it had “unsuitable” spokes didn’t seem to have any effect whatsoever.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Spokes spokes spokes…’ is closed to new replies.