Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Spokes for Mavic EN821.
  • Mackem

Is this correct..
    They arent “special” are they? It’s just the little connectory things that come with the rim that are a bit different.

My LBS have had my rear wheel for 5 weeks now, claiming they cant get the special spokes needed.

Cheers.

orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s just as you imagine , Only special part is the threaded nipple holder.
    Might be best to go have a chat and see in person what problem they are having

What was wrong with it ?

rickmeister

Probably want to sell you a complete pack to rebuild the whole wheel.

Have a look on Ebay for Mavic Spokes, they often come up as singles.

for example

sillyoldman

They’re standard spokes, but spoke length is critical (more so than a standard rim that accepts nipples directly) and Mavic specify 16mm nipples rather than standard 12mm ones. Mavic don’t go out of their way to publish the ERD to allow spoke length calculation.

So either the shop has been experimenting with spoke and nipple lengths, or they are talking pish.

Built some for myself a few months ago. Nice rims.

njee20
    Free Member

Probably want to sell you a complete pack to rebuild the whole wheel.
    Have a look on Ebay for Mavic Spokes, they often come up as singles.
    for example

That’s only for factory wheelsets. Not relevant on the builds.

16mm nips shouldn’t be hard to source, definitely not 5 weeks. I’d ask them what the problem is.

Mackem

..I’m just swapping rims. It’ll be a EN821 on a Hope Pro2.

The rim arrived a few weeks ago and they mumbled something about getting spokes from Mavic. I’ve looked on google and people have built them using the spokes of other manufacturers. I’ll have to pop in.

Cheers people, wheelbuilding is a bit of mystery to me.

njee20
    Free Member

Mavic don’t even do spokes except for their factory wheels, which aren’t appropriate for that rim.

Sounds like they don’t know what they’re talking about…

Mackem

..a little update.

I messaged them about the spokes. No reply.

I popped in this morning and it seems that they had just realised they had got me a 29″ rim instead of a 26″ rim. This rim has been sitting in it’s box, in the shop, with my wheel for 5 weeks. I guess they didnt even look at the rim until I had sent the message about the spokes. They say a new rim will arrive tomorrow.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Spokes for Mavic EN821.’ is closed to new replies.