Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Spokes – final question (Sapim CX-Ray)
  • stevied
    Free Member

Are CX-Ray’s worth the extra over ‘normal’ spokes?
    Looking at a custom wheel build and they are an extra £20 over the Rev’s or Comp Race I was looking at.
    Wheels will be used for general trail riding with the odd light DH days every now and then.
    14st rider…

benpinnick

Yes I would say so only because the ones you’re looking at can be prone to twisting up, making even tension harder to achieve. The blades allow for a better build so a longer lasting wheel. The extra working of the spoke makes them less prone to snapping too, but to be honest I don’t think thats an issue worth worrying about, the Revs and comp race are strong enough just a pain to work with.

dustytrails

They’re lighter and supposedly stronger than round spokes and IMHO look better too – for 20 quid of your money I’d say yes!

aracer
    Free Member

No. The stronger bit is in the part of the spoke which doesn’t normally snap anyway (does anybody have spokes fail anywhere other than the head?) They’re more prone to wind up than Revs as the torsional stiffness is less – the only advantage there is that you can see the wind up, but I wouldn’t use a builder who can’t cope with the wind up without that help (TBH CX-Rays are more of a pain to build with IME as they make using a spoke key awkward). They’re the same weight as Revs.

I have them on my semi-aero road wheels for the marginal gains, but Revs on the light MTB wheels. For wheels to be used for DH, personally I’d be looking at thicker heavier spokes – ie normal Comps – as the lighter spokes you’re looking at make for a weaker wheel.

dazh

They make a lovely humming noise when you get some speed up. Not sure that’s a valid reason to get them though, but then again neither is getting black spokes over silver ones.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t. X-rays are thin, light and aero. And as such will build a flexy wheel. I also don’t really think you’ll see any benefit other than a bit of weight.

Daffy

I like my spokes to be all but invisible in the wheel, REVs do this very well, CX and other bladed spokes just make a wheel look heavy to my eyes. There’s no functional benefit for a MTB wheel.

ransos
    Free Member

I have them on my disc road bike, and they’re really stiff. The builder recommended them over DT Revs as they are stronger, and less prone to wind up.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Daft for dh IMO

downhilldave

My next wheelset,Lb carbon rims with the hubs Tbc will have CX-rays.

Northwind

There’s always the laser- literally the same spoke but not squashed flat. Less strong according to Sapim, makes sense as it’s had less forging but as above, the bit that gets squished is the bit that breaks least anyway. Been very happy with mine.

New wheel has Comp Races but I can’t remember how the numbers worked out for that.

ransos
    Free Member

There’s always the laser- literally the same spoke but not squashed flat. Less strong according to Sapim, makes sense as it’s had less forging but as above, the bit that gets squished is the bit that breaks least anyway. Been very happy with mine.

Sapim don’t recommend the Laser for disc use – the d-light is meant for that application.

Northwind

Huh- nothing on the website or in the spoke packaging but I had a google and I see it, tucked in the checklist… That’s pretty shoddy Sapim.

OTOH, they do work fine ime. But I will stop recommending them!

pb2

If any one wants a set of CX plus a few spares for a single 26″ wheel (32 silver spoked wheel) just ping me a PM and a couple quid for postage and there yours.
    Ditto full two wheel of 26″ DT Swiss Comp plus a load of spares. ATB Paul

aracer
    Free Member

They’re just as stiff as Revs (or Lasers) in the only direction which matters – ie less stiff than any other spoke. They’re also less torsionally stiff so more prone to wind up, it’s just that you can see the wind up (though for a good builder that shouldn’t make any difference).

Marketing. As discussed above, there’s no functional difference between them and CX-Rays (which they’re happy for you to use) in that application. I have Revs on my disc wheels.

ransos
    Free Member

They’re just as stiff as Revs (or Lasers) in the only direction which matters – ie less stiff than any other spoke. They’re also less torsionally stiff so more prone to wind up, it’s just that you can see the wind up (though for a good builder that shouldn’t make any difference).

I found Revs very prone to wind-up whereas the CX-Ray is easy to hold in place because it’s flat.

Marketing. As discussed above, there’s no functional difference between them and CX-Rays (which they’re happy for you to use) in that application. I have Revs on my disc wheels.

I’ll stick with what Sapim say…it’s not as if they’re charging more for the D-light.

njee20
    Free Member

Used them previously on the MTB. Used Revs on my last few sets of wheels. Not worth except for aracers marginal gains. Wouldn’t use either unless weight is very important.

Don’t particularly find either harder to build with. Cut a slot in a piece of wood to stop CX-Rays twisting, you’ve got to go on feel with Revs et al a bit more, but it’s not really harder IMO, just different.

dustytrails

Don’t particularly find either harder to build with. Cut a slot in a piece of wood to stop CX-Rays twisting,

Indeed a thin saw kerf in a scrap bit of Ebony here!!

you’ve got to go on feel with Revs et al a bit more, but it’s not really harder IMO, just different.

I get over this by wrapping a small tab of masking tape on each spoke towards the nipple (leaving enough room for the spoke key) You can see if the spoke turns and do your half turn or whatever from when it stops and reverse the nipple back so that the tape is back in it’s original position.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Spokes – final question (Sapim CX-Ray)’ is closed to new replies.