Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • spokes!
  • paladin

Happy new year everyone!

This is the year I build a wheel, got a mavic321 rim and hope hub, just need the bits to go in between…

Dtswiss calculator tells me that if I lace it 3x, my spoke lengths are 259.4 and 261.1 , so I round these up to 260 and 262 do I?

Was looking at dtswiss revolution spokes at CRC, and black prolock nipples .

Are those reasonable choices or is there somewhere better to buy?

Cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

Revs with a 321 sounds like an odd combination. A strong heavy rim with some spokes from the lighter even of things. What’s the wheel going to be used for?

Which 321 is it?

coatesy
    Free Member

Bit of a mismatch of components to me, Revolution spokes are one of DT’s lightweight offerings, and 321s are one of Mavics heavyweights. You’re probably better off going for Competition or Champion spokes if buying DT, they’ll be easier to build with as they don’t suffer “wind-up” as much as Revolutions, so are easier to gauge tightness for the newcomer to wheelbuilding.Same goes for the prolocks in my experience, decent brass nipples are much easier to build with,(and won’t loosen unless you total your rim) if built properly. I’d also recommend a smear of copper grease on the spoke threads if you want to true them easily in the future(again, they won’t loosen if built properly).

coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth remembering the default on DT’s calculator is for 12mm nipples, but CRC usually sell 14mm, so you’ll need to drop 2mm off your spoke lengths(to 258 & 259 ideally, but 260 should be fine.

tthew

This could be a useful thread for the wheelbuiding newbie. Father Christmas brought me all the stuff I need to start, but I’m going for a new set of wheels for my commuter first, with these rims.
    Exciting!

adscatt
    Free Member

Download the wheel building book from wheelpro, its how I built my wheels, I’ve done about 6 pairs now and saved a lot of money! http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Rose bike do very cheap prices on DT spokes too.

njee20
    Free Member

Only silver for Revs though annoyingly! Got my black Revs from Bike24. Still cheaper than CRC.

paladin

Thanks for the help! The rim is a Mavic xm321, I just took a stab in the dark with those spokes, so i’ll go for champions as suggested. I see on rosebikes they also have the dtswiss brass nipples in 12mm, so i’ll get them too.

At the moment, the wheel won’t be taking too much abuse, but that will likely change in the future. I didn’t really need a new wheel until I decided to put bigger forks on my 456, and I had the rim lying around, so fancied the challenge of building a wheel.

Wheelpro book looks good, I’ll get that downloaded when my internet speeds up cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just asking about which rim as there are a few different 321 rims. Funnily enough, I measured a 26″ 32 hole xm 321. ERD is 538mm. I’m building it up today on a hope bulb with some sapim race spokes I’ve got kicking around just to use on a turbo trainer.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

ACI or Sapim race are cheaper than DT Swiss equivalent s and just as good imo. (Spa Cycles for ACI)

paladin

Just waiting on the postie now, ordered 20 spokes of each size and 40 nipples for 30 quid from the Germans. 😀

paladin

Its happening…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘spokes!’ is closed to new replies.