Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • spoke screwdriver
  • juan
    Free Member

Does it have a specific name?
    You know the one with the one that makes building wheels very easy

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.jejamescycles.com/sapim-nipple-driver-08-id42170.html

Personally I just use a cordless drill and narrow bit to get the nipple to the end of the thread (i.e. before the spoke comes through to the back of the nipple).

Mister-P
    Free Member

The DT Swiss name for one of these is pnippleschrauber which makes me chuckle.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Juan, it’s easier to make your own. You need a really cheap flat-blade screwdriver that will bend (Rather than break) to the shape shown above, then file the point on each side so there’s a 2mm point and a shoulder on each side. (A sort of negative ‘T’ shape if you like)
    Then remove the handle and fashion something to hold it with so it will spin inside the handle.

Or you could leave it straight and just file the end, which is what I intend to do soon!

barrykellett
    Free Member

The tip on the DT Swiss one is only 1mm, too stubby, it overtightens the spokes too much in the early stages of building the wheel.

I’m going to try and modify mine to make it release a bit sooner than it does at present.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Nah, those ones look rubbish- you want one of these

Speshpaul

I use match sticks, push the stick through the back of the niggle and you can insert it down hill and it won’t fall off.
    You only really need it for the last 8 spokes anyway.
    Then i wiz around them all with a cordless with a long driver filed to give a 2mm point.

sv

Some 6mm steel bar is easier to bend/shape/file – cheap screwdrivers are getting better quality these days and harder to bend!. Complete with a standard file handle.

Avocado
    Free Member

Heat your screwdriver first and it should bend no problem.

juan
    Free Member

ok
    I’ll see what I can do
    Or I’ll just use the spoke wrench in front ofthe TV tonight

Cheers
    all

coffeeking
    Free Member

El cheapo electronic screwdriver works just fine to get the initial threads on, then switch to a proper spokey.

scruff
    Free Member

What sort do I use for 819s- Even really small jewellery screwdrivers dont fit ?

Dibbs
    Free Member

The one’s I’ve seen allow the shank to spin inside the handle, how are you going to do that with a screwdriver?

coatesy
    Free Member

I usually use a Quikwedge (from Buck&Hickman)screwdriver, useful for many other jobs too.

Avocado
    Free Member

The one’s I’ve seen allow the shank to spin inside the handle, how are you going to do that with a screwdriver?

You pull the handle off (usually do-able with a vice) and there are generally crimped or moulded bits on the metal shaft to stop it spinning. Cut them off (or file them down if it’s a short screwdriver) and drill the hole in the handle a bit bigger.

Job’s a goodun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘spoke screwdriver’ is closed to new replies.