Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Spoke length advice needed
  • nixon
    Free Member

I’m in the process of gathering all the parts for a new wheelset, but this’ll be the first set I’ve built myself so would like a second opinion on spoke length, please. I’ve used the DT calculator and got these numbers:

The only trouble is I’m going to be using Pillar Aero X-Tra 1420 bladed spokes and Pillar PT 734 14mm alu hexagonal nipples from Light Bicycle so I’m not sure if the lengths will be quite the same, if somebody with some experience could advise me that would be great.
    Cheers

aracer
    Free Member

First wheel build? My advice would be to use more normal spokes – those ones will be quite tricky to build with and make it difficult to build a good wheel. Just get some normal DT Comp or Sapim Race spokes instead.

scar4me
    Free Member

Spoke lengths will be exactly the same.

Couldn’t disagree more with aracer on this one unfortunately.

Standard spokes are more difficult to see the torsional twist in than aero’s.
    For a first time builder who’s not going to have the feel for wheel building, aero’s make much more sense, as with a blade holder you can easily build and see if a spoke is winding and correct it.

This is from personal experience building my own wheels, and with the Pillar 1420 and 1422 spokes mentioned.

P.s. 1422’s are available from here if you didn’t want to buy from light-bicycle.
    http://www.cycleway.cn/pillar-x-tra-1422-blade-spoke
    Work out ~£1 a spoke inc nipples and shipping.

Scar

nixon
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice and the confirmation, it’s all a bit off-putting when I didn’t know that nipple length affected spoke length and all that, ty. That’s what I’d heard about bladed spokes so hoped they’d be alright. I’ve ended up ordering from light-bicycle as they have those size (271, 272 and 274mm) in stock, thanks for the heads-up on cycleway though, I’ll bookmark ’em for future use. Now comes the scary building them part 😮

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Spoke length advice needed’ is closed to new replies.