Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Spoke key advice.
  • griffiths1000
    Free Member

Hi folks i’ve got a set of wheels with alloy nipples that need truing up. I bought a 4 sided Park sw-40 key 3.23mm but it fractionally too tight, will go if i wiggle it on but assume i shouldn’t have to force it on?
    Next size up is the sw-42 3.45mm but afraid this will be too big and at £12 each i don’t realy want to buy too many the wrong size. Any advise on other decent 4 sided spoke keys or a decent combination set?

If anyone has a decent quality unwanted key/ keys i would be interested in doing a deal.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It does sound a little tight, but you want a tight spoke key with alloy nipples as they are so fragile. I’d just run with it unless it’s a complete PITA to use.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I think with the park one I have, you have to put it onto the spoke, then move it up onto the nipple, not just push it onto the nipple, because of the 4 sidedness of it.

You might have a 3.3mm nipple, but I have a feeling that the difference is not so much that a 3.23mm spoke key can’t fit on. I know with mine 3.23 mm hole is a tight fit, 3.3mm hole is an okay fit, 3.45mm hole is massive and loose.

I’ve also got the Park 3 hole spoke key, but only ever used the big (3.45mm) hole on a downhill wheel with silly 12 gauge (I think) spokes, so unless you have something pretty overbuilt, it is unlikely you need that, especially if you can get the existing key on. Unless alloy nipples come in funny sizes?

Oh from looking briefly, it looks like Japanese wheels might have big nipples too.

Also, if you do need another one, a friend who builds up lots of wheels for his shop always recommended ‘spokey’ spoke keys over park tools, I only have Park Tools ones because I needed them in a hurry when I broke spokes out on rides. Spokeys are also cheaper than park tools which is nice.

Joe

RustyMac

I use these the pro version has the double metal insert which is worthwhile over the single. Had a park 3 sided one and hated it, rounded off quite a few nipples with it, never had a problem with the spokey ones and at the price they are it is not such a PITA when you loose one.

Red is the standard one and Yellow is te bigger one, exact sizes are given if you know what you need.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Does anyone know what size you need for the brass nipples that come with DT Swiss Competitions (on CRC)?
    Ta

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Thanks guys thats all helpfull keep it coming.

joemarshall yes i do have to slip it on to the spoke first then up on to the nippe but still have to force it on, bit too much for my liking as it is then sticky to remove.

RustyMac

Mowgli

one of the res spokey ones from my link above is what you would need 3.25mm nipples.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Spoke key advice.’ is closed to new replies.