Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Split side wall repair advice + toughest side wall tyres
  • COZZY
    Free Member

Hi

I have ripped my side wall of my Maxxis Minions on the second ride 🙁 – any advice on how to repair this ?

super glue and a section of inner tube failed ?

What are the toughest side walled tyres available as alot of my riding involves loose stone trais

cheers

Gary_M
    Free Member

Piece of stiff plastic and a piece of groundsheet work for me.

A section of inner tube isn’t thick enough and will just bulge through the rip.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Wouldn’t really ride with a fixed tyre, what if it fails while your going down a hill at 30mph? But depends on the size of the repair I suppose.

However http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Repairing-A-Torn-Tire-2011.html

Hans dampf snakeskin must be one of the toughest IMO.
    Hit a massive amount of rocks on Ard Rock enduro and they didn’t have a scratch.

Andy-R

I always carry a couple of aircraft de-icer boot repair patches, just in case. I’ve never had to use one though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I always carry a couple of aircraft de-icer boot repair patches

Yeh the OP should nip down to Tesco see if they’ve got any aircraft deicing boots.

Speshpaul

“Wouldn’t really ride with a fixed tyre, what if it fails while your going down a hill at 30mph?”

It would be like having a puncture at 30mph going down hill.

amedias
    Free Member

Depending on how big the tear is you can just patch with tubless/tyre boot or stitch the cut back together with dental floss and then patch.

I’ve got several tyres still on the go with dental floss repairs to some big holes, the longest is a flint slice about 30 – 40mm long and it’s still running tubeless after the repair about 9 months ago.

Dual ply Maxxis tyres are pretty sturdy but not at all light, you could also try Contis with the ProTection sidewall, or Specialized armadillo casing tyres, although I’ve managed to slice them too.

COZZY
    Free Member

Thanks all – I will try gluing an old tyre first then.

@darrenspink – thanks for the video link.

Northwind

Toughest sidewalls in common use I reckon are conti dh models- they’re like car tyres. But that’s a lot of tyre…

deadkenny
    Free Member

darrenspink – Member
    Wouldn’t really ride with a fixed tyre, what if it fails while your going down a hill at 30mph? But depends on the size of the repair I suppose.

Boot repair from the inside on a chunky hole in the Alps last year and been running same tyre for a year, including DHing Cwmcarn, several flinty sessions at BPW, even back to the Alps. Still running fine. And that’s tubeless as well.

If it was a road tyre I’d think twice though (but then I’d think more than twice before getting on a road bike anyway 😛 )

Anyway, as for sidewalls – Maxxis EXO

If you really want tough then step up to dual ply, but then it’s getting heavy.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Boot repair from the inside on a chunky hole in the Alps last year and been running same tyre for a year, including DHing Cwmcarn, several flinty sessions at BPW, even back to the Alps. Still running fine. And that’s tubeless as well.
    If it was a road tyre I’d think twice though (but then I’d think more than twice before getting on a road bike anyway )
    Anyway, as for sidewalls – Maxxis EXO
    If you really want tough then step up to dual ply, but then it’s getting heavy.

Thats cool..as I said depends on the size. OP could be taking about a 20cm gash (oh er)

thomthumb
    Free Member

specialized thick tyre (can’t remember the name) seems pretty meaty withouit going dual ply. sort of like 1.5 ply

Northwind

SX carcass, that is

COZZY
    Free Member

What is the rubber glue of choice ? – (avaiable from wikes – homebase.. ? )

deadkenny
    Free Member

Don’t know about in shop, but I used this kit that someone recommended to me…

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WSVELTRK/velox-tubeless-repair-kit

Whatever that cement glue stuff is. I bet it’s the same as the stuff in a normal tube repair kit.

ps For trail side fixes with tubeless, if it’s not a huge gash but a small hole, this was recommended to me – http://www.wiggle.co.uk/panaracer-tubeless-patch-kit/

There are similar ones with those anchovy style strips, but as one comment I read said they have a couple of strips whereas the Panaracer kit has a huge patch of rubber that you can cut into strips to thread through, or could maybe use as a boot inside.

discoduck
    Free Member

As Above, if you are getting through sidewalls and riding rocks you need some DH casing tyres, I’ve just took some HR2’s off with DH casing in 2.4 and put 2.3 EXO’s on. They are a lot more flimsy even in the sidewall, the DH casing are as mentioned by Northwind like car tyres and are an absolute beeehatch to pedal.

If your normally pointing downwards then this shouldn’t bother you and inspires confidence, but aren’t the Minions DH cases anyhoo being a DH orientated tyre ?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Minion covers a lot of uses. A true DH Minion is the full dual-ply DH version. The single ply folding standard Minion DHF is more of a trail tyre.

bland

only get Maxxis EXO as they have rubber sidewalls as oppose to a a tiny coat of rubber on the side walls. Contis seem terrible for doing this too

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Mainly dual ply minnions for me but also got a dual ply Larsen TT on the back of one bike atm, all running tubeless with Stans.

Still manage to slash the sidewalls all too often but Maxxis DP are holding up better than most. The sidewalls on all of them are soon quite baddly frayed though, long before the tread wears low.

Keen to try a SG snakeskin Schwalbe of some description next.

When I’ve slashed Maxxis DP beyond the power of Stans, I’ve just stuck a couple of layers of large repair patch over the inside. Been fine despite the outer gaping a bit.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Split side wall repair advice + toughest side wall tyres’ is closed to new replies.