Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Split rim – keep riding or not?!
  • orena45

No idea how long this has been there, could be nearly two years, could be a few rides ago. It looks bad enough to me, but will I die if I keep riding it a bit longer?!

Northwind

Cool! Teach you not to ride over iron spikes.

I’d probably ride on thta, the strength of the rim isn’t in the bed (that’s how they can drill so many holes in it). What rim is it?

Markie
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not a sticker?

Rear wheel for wheels on the ground xc – I’d probably risk it for a bit.

Front wheel? New rim before I next ride.

orena45

Mavic EN521 – rear wheel

I’m a lightish rider, physically and ride-style wise but I do do give it beans on the descents which can be quite rocky locally. Not too afraid of hitting mid sized jumps and drops either.

Markie
    Free Member

Perhaps drilling small holes at the ends of the split might work to prevent it from lengthening? IIRC, 521s are pretty solid!

Those fat bike chaps seem very drill happy…

rickmeister

Over ambitious use of a metal tyre lever ?

Had a similar one on a Mavic around the valve hole.. superglue did ok for a bit then i binned it after a while…

orena45

Nope, just plastic Park levers in my tool box.

Northwind

Someone’s been shooting at you.

acehtn
    Free Member

Would guess a rock strike for the damage. As you say could have been there ages hiding under the rim tape.

As stated all ready, drill small hole to prevent crack/split spreading around the rim.
    It’s not unheard off for people to ream out spoke holes or make extra holes to shed a bit of rim weight….then there’s fat bike rims 🙂

Would check it often to make sure cracks not spreading (after drilling small hole)and would ride it.

Health and safety, the rim is damaged, replace it if not happy riding it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Split rim – keep riding or not?!’ is closed to new replies.