• This topic has 17 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Spitting/snot rocketing in front of/on cars
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I was wondering where the forum stands on spitting or snot rocketing either right in front of or possibly on cars. I ask as I was driving behind a small group of 5 riders on Saturday and a bloke spat pretty much on the car. It wasn’t a “you’re driving dangerously” spit, more the usual clearing the throat type one that happens pretty regularly on a ride.

It struck me as a bit strange, perhaps disrespectful. I usually wait until there aren’t any cars about to do this- while other cyclists appreciate that it’s all part of riding I think non-cyclists would find someone hacking up onto their car a bit, well, disgusting for a start, but also a bit rude and generally not help the image we have. Or is this just me and do most riders just go for it whenever they feel the urge?

benji
    Free Member

Only reserved for folks who park in cycle lanes 😈

Nobby

Kerbside for me. It’s an acquired skill to be able to snot rocket from either nostril in the same direction but worth the effort (if only to avoid snail trails on your kit).

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ll wait until there’s nothing behind me – bike or car. If I’m in a group then I’ll drop to the back first.

Yak

I’m with you. It’s rude and disgusting. It’s not hard to check over your shoulder before firing a snot rocket.

pondo

I think it’s grim, always wait until there’s no cars about – as much as anything, that’s for cycling PR. Did a sportive yesterday, some guy came past me, slowed down then fired a blizzard of snot at the hedgerow. It was horrid, would not have been happy to see drops on my lenses.

butcher

Usually do it before they reach me, in the hope that they might consider giving a wider berth 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

Is this a ‘thing’? Never had to do it. Perhaps it comes from riding in traffic fumes?

fathomer

Always make sure there’s nothing behind me. It’s a pretty rank thing to be doing tbh but needs must.

tonyd

I always wait until there is no traffic behind me and wouldn’t dream of it if other cyclists were behind. Pretty disgusting and thoughtless to do this onto someones car.

njee20
    Free Member

Echo all the above, rude and disgusting to do it on someone’s car!

rene59
    Free Member

No different to car drivers spitting/snot rocketing in front of/on cyclists.

Unacceptable and fair game for retribution.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Right, good, must have just been someone being a numpty.

I do have to do it occasionally, I seem to be very phlegmy and ride through countryside pretty much the whole time.

cheers_drive

I’m always careful not to do it if beside a car as a) it’s disgusting b) it could be taken as aggressive gesture.

My nose always runs when exercising, especially when it’s cold, if I don’t do it upsets my breathing and often ends up smeared across my face.
    Those who claim to never need to do it are lucky.

cupra
    Free Member

I must be lucky then as I have never felt the need to do this.

traildog
    Free Member

Bit bizarre that its considered rude to let off snot onto someones car (so it never actually touches the person in any way), but it’s ok to let dangerous fumes out and into the someones lung, thus causing them real damage.

Just saying like… 😀

matt_outandabout

It is rude.

/end story

D0NK

Cars innit traildog, people get quite precious about them (despite all the harm they do)
    I usually aim roadside as there’s people pavement side who aren’t hermetically sealed in steel boxes.
    Don’t think ive ever aimed at a car, even when angry, I’ve inadvertantly hit a few that were passing me too close tho, in which case, tough titties.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Spitting/snot rocketing in front of/on cars’ is closed to new replies.