Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Spitfire
  • CountZero

Just sitting outside the coffee shop, enjoying the lovely warm weather and I heard a familiar engine sound, then a Spitfire wearing invasion stripes flew low overhead! Beatiful sight, and a town centre full of people never even noticed. Still, it made my day.

fbk
    Free Member

Can't beat the sound of that engine flying low over head 🙂

pantsonfire
    Free Member

It is a beautiful sound isnt it. On my list of things I want to do before I die is get my pilots license and fly a Spit. Just need to win the lottery.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Beautiful sight

Indeed………………terrifying sight for Jerry though :mrgreen:

Best seen flying over the North Downs in Kent imo.

scaredypants

I always post this up, but I bloody love it !

DavidB
    Free Member

Lancaster went over me on my night ride last night near Lyneham

bassspine
    Free Member

At my aunt's funeral in january this year, stood round the grave. A spitfire flew right over us. Made me feel a bit better.

catnash
    Free Member

Invasion strips? If your in Germany isn't he a bit late???

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It was probably flying over a USAF base catnash ………….. you can't take any chances with friendly fire.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

where bout were you? one with D-Day markings flew over Corsham for the battle of britain due or something.

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, a Lancaster went over us in Hampshire this morning. A wonderful sight (and sound). Must have been on its way back from the Goodwood Revival I guess.

rOcKeTdOg

i presume the Kuntz in question is the German footballer?

crazy-legs

This one per chance?

Taken last weekend at the Leuchars Airshow.
    It's actually got a (more powerful) Rolls Royce Griffon engine instead of the original Merlin but the sound is the same incredible throaty roar.

rocketdog, those Spitfire ads are ace! I'm sure there were a few that prompted complaints to the ASA.

Solo
    Free Member

Spitfire !, what an awesome machine.

Saw one the other day perform a fly by for our local forces parade.

Midday, and over the backround hum of daily life in my city, along comes that sound, growing louder, but still so smooth. I look up and see that beautiful silhouette slowly, majestically fly by.

Always stops me in my tracks when I see and hear that plane. Everything else can wait a few moments while I take in another chance to see one fly.

S.

Hairyleggedone
    Free Member

Fantastic, such a great sound of 1500 odd bhp.

rOcKeTdOg

crazy-legs

I've just found the website page with the TV and print adverts for Spitfire. 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

That youtube clip is fab….. if that happened to me it would probably be the scariest and best thing ever.

keyses2

one has buzzed newbury showground a couple of times today, lovely sight and sound, he was putting on a bit of a show aswell, loop the loops, barrel rolls etc

john_drummer
    Free Member

A couple of years ago I called in at Duxford on my way home from one of our factories. Did the museum tour, and as I came out of the American Museum, I saw a glint of light over the big hangar.

It was a 2 seater Spit and it proceeded to do the full airshow workout, just for me 🙂

Well it was probably practicing actually, but it felt like it was just for me 🙂

fadda

*basks in reflected glory*

My Dad flew them for real…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What perfect machines. I would love to design something that lovely/scary and iconic.

catnash
    Free Member

Takes me back to my childhood and Fairford and Brawdy airshows….As well as hearing a Vulcan and Lightnig for the fist time. I was convinced that Vulcan was going to crash any minute. Brother in-law now works in the Rolls Royce engine dept.

brack
    Free Member

Yeah over Chichester this weekend weve had the lot….Had a messrs schmidt up there as well.

Fantatsic

tandemwarriors

As an apprentice at RR Hucknall I spent many a happy day at East Midlands airport polishing the company Spitfire.
    When one of the BBMF pilots took it out for a spin they'd often do a flypast over the Hucknall factory, which is based on an airfield. They'd come in so low over the airfield I'd swear they had to pull up to get over the perimeter fence!
    Nothing beats the sound of a merlin screaming over your head 😀

Rob

PJM1974
    Free Member

My father did a stint in the aircraft industry and designed bits of Lightnings, Buccaneers and Victors. However, It's the Spitfire that does it for me, especially in Mk IX form with 1,650bhp of Merlin engine and two stage supercharger. Hearing one at full chat is a noise to make the hairs on the nape of your neck stand on end, the roar of twelve cylinders overlaid with the whine of the charger.

The ultimate expression of internal combustion horsepower for me.

tankslapper
    Free Member
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

CLASSIC!

Yep, it certainly is a classic Slapper.

I guess that's probably why scaredypants posted it on this thread 9 hours ago.

fennesz
    Free Member

lush pic crazy-legs!

tankslapper
    Free Member

Dam you lynch – didnt spot it! 😥

Havent the time to read everything on here – email me in future before I muck up. 😀

eldridge
    Free Member

a 2 seater Spit

same elegant wings

dog-ugly, silly, vulnerable-looking, trainee pilot-friendly fuselage

the Boulton-Paul Defiant version of the Hurricane

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

email me in future before I muck up.

**** off. Tripping you up, is always something which I particularly enjoy doing on here 8)

tankslapper
    Free Member

If you aint Irish you aint using **** 8)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My name's Lynch ffs, so I can say **** if I want to.

tankslapper
    Free Member

true….true…..

So you like spuds then Ernie? What about soda farls and tatty bread?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Spitfire’ is closed to new replies.