• This topic has 66 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by derp.
Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Spinning
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

pedalhead – IIRC – Windrush Sports Centre??

yup 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

Genuine question, whats the difference between spinning and a turbo trainer?

for me, it’s mostly about motivation, and I find spinning classes less boring than the turbo.

thomthumb
    Free Member

whats the difference between spinning and a turbo trainer?

spin should be on a fixed wheel bike. also there is the class element of it. I have only ever once seem some one go home early from a spin session. I have given up with lots of turbo trainer sessions early. or more often deviated from the plan.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Will_B
    Free Member

for the same motivation/pain at home use the sufferfest videos with a turbo, pretty punishing if you follow the instructions

Surfr
    Free Member

We’re very lucky in that as well as being blessed with mountains for awesome road and MTB biking we also have a Uni with a great Sport Science dept for testing and a Gym who’s spin instructors include an ex pro duathlete and a current BC Premier Calendar rider for magnus backstedt’s UK Youth team.

http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/sportscentre/staff/alastair-rhodes/

http://www.teamukyouth.co.uk/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=14

Sessions for the club run once a week and I’ve started adding in a 45 min warmup spin in the gym beforehand to really get the most out of the evening. Intervals are the order of the day usually but things get mixed up pretty well each week so we’re always on our toes. 5 min sets last night some sprints, some climbing, some on-of short sprint efforts, some flat TT work above threshold. Love it and will be a bit sad when the TT season starts and the classes stop until winter.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Spinning is brilliant!

I go twice a week and it’s improved my bike fitness no end.

scottw
    Free Member

Very punishing if you follow the instructions! But highly enjoyable at the same time.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The holy grail for hot women in classes is ‘Body Balance’ followed closely by Yoga.

I challange any red blooded male to concentrate on their own stretches!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Only time i’ve done yoga at the gym i got a hard on and had to feign injury so i could lay on my stomach for a bit 😀

headfirst
    Free Member

ROFL at Omar 😯 😆

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Ha interesting I was wondering why my left knee was playing up – thought it was my technique turns out its the kit…Hmmm..

Tiger6791

Genuine question, whats the difference between spinning and a turbo trainer?

Spinning = Short 45mins, high output, cardio workout designed for all

Turbo = Sustained, longer and should be a lot harder

Both are good and both will make you better

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m working on my technique… shifted the cleat on the left shoe as far as it will go for this mornings spin… seemed to help and has allowed my left leg to move in a far more linear plain.

cxi
    Free Member

The biggest thing I miss about ditching my gym membership a good few years ago is the spinning classes. We had a couple of really good instructors who would destroy you. By the end of a session, I’d look like I’d cycled through the swimming pool – urgh!

+1 for the eye candy in a class being a bonus.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’ve done spinning at my gym and it’s boring and not very taxing even me trying my hardest so I gave it up to do my own stuff in stead would much rather be out, but as said above that’s just a rubbish instructor I imagine as if it’s easy then it’s stupid!

DezB
    Free Member

Both are good and both will make you better fitter

FTFY

KonaTC

Spinning is Awesome, the two real things that make the difference are:

a) the instructor
    b) the music (one that springs to mind – Girls Aloud Sound Of The Underground)

Every thing else is a Billy Bonus

+1 for towel and water and make sure you wipe down the bike

mogrim

Spinning = Short 45mins, high output, cardio workout designed for all

Disagree, there’s not much in it – turbo can be longer, after all you set the time limit, and most spin classes are about 45min long, but I don’t think (minute for minute) it’s any harder. Assuming you use the resistance, of course!

freddyg
    Free Member

Another spinning fan here – I was introduced to it in November last year and was blowing out of my @rse after 10 minutes on the first session. I’m now going 2 to 3 times a week; have lost some weight and dropped a waist size.

Oh, I’m surprised no one has mentioned it yet. Take a towel and some water. 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have been informed that there is a difference between ‘spinning’ and ‘rpm’.

RPM is what I do, it’s Awesome!!!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve been to both spinning and rpm. Love it and was addicted for a while. Some instructors try things like press ups on the bars which i don’t bother with, but the music and intervals/timed climbs etc are great. Be careful if they tell you to take all the resistence off and pedal as fast as you can – keep some resistence on.

I sometimes do two classes in one night – 1hr45mins of spinning indoors is much better on winter nights when its snowing/icy etc, and more appealing the the turbo. My climbing out of the saddle (on the road bike) came on tons just by adding in spinning to my training.

As above, take spds, towel, water and hrm if you have one.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone ride their bike to the spinning class?

😀

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Eh? A turbo session is what you make it, IMO turbos are ideally suited to HIIT, but as you say are also good for threshold training.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

LOL @ Dezb… I walk there.

DGOAB – as a fellow fanatic.. what’s your stretching routine? I’ve decided to get into yoga this week. Did my 2nd class this lunchtime.. feel so good for it. Some of my lingering injuries feel improved too…

derp
    Free Member

Anyone ride their bike to the spinning class?

I will drive! Don’t want to be exercising accidentally now do I.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Erm, I cycle there and home, mainly because it’s on my way home from work.

TSY, I love yoga. I try to do a decent amount of stretching/yoga 6 days a week. Focus on calves, hamstrings, quads, hips/glutes, and lower back. I do poses like the cat/dog and triangle every day. Don’t try the advanced moves if you are admiring a lady in front of you though! 😀 dunno how you can do the 7.15 class though, thats not for me, much prefer later in the day.

derp
    Free Member

Well. Tonight didn’t go too well. I turned up an hour late as got my times mixed up.

…try again Saturday.

😡

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Spinning’ is closed to new replies.