• This topic has 29 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Spine protection built into tops (any snowboard etc???)
  • hora
    Free Member

I know 661 offer a pads/built into a short (great idea) however it doesn’t have a built in back protector. TBH I’d rather have that alone built into a top that I can also ride in.

The POC one is WAAAAY too expensive.

Anything more budget from a different sport that we could use?

stevomcd
    Free Member

There are loads of ski/snowboard ones. Check out Dainese, Ortovox, etc.

100mphplus
    Free Member

O’neil do a jacket ‘Magnetic protector vest’ similar to the POC with the same vpd spine board.

You can also buy just the back protector that has shoulder straps and waist belt that can be worn under anything.

bland

the O’Neal ones as mentioned are ace and have teh SAS Tec foam in which is way better than the 661/POC equivilent

Magnetic Protector Vest

big_scot_nanny
    hora
    Free Member

Bland Still alot though and I’d want it as top-looking as possible.

You could wear that in the 70’s version of Flash Gordon!

Big scot nanny- I only want back protection. I feel claustrophobic in full suits sadly.

big_scot_nanny

poo, sorry, didn’t read your post properly.

hora
    Free Member

Hang on- buy a secondhand pressure suit and cut the arms off at the shoulders!

a11y

As an alternative, what about a rucsac with a built in back protector?

EVOC Freeride pack is what I’ve got: it’s their smallest one with the built-in (but removable) back protector. The pack isn’t actually as big or heavy as it looks. Around £100 though 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Leftfield genius.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Hora, I recently bought one of these – yet to ride in it but it seemed comfortable enough and not too warm when I wore it whilst working the other day (you have to try these things, don’t you?) I hated my old 661 Pressure suit because it was far too hot and uncomfortable – I chopped the sleeves off it in the end and most of the time, I wouldn’t wear it at all (never took it to Malaga when we went with Switchbacks)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=59938

They also do one without sleeves and you can remove padding from it as required

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=59940

Actually, the one I got has mesh rather than the thicker material but it’s basically the same (HW is Hot Weather). They also come up very large – Dango got a Large and it’s fine for him (he’s a tubber) and a Medium fits me spot on.

The also have removable sections to allow for Leatts, which is another reason why I bought it.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Oh, Dango and I got ours from the US; him via eGay and me from JENSEN USA. With the dollar likely to bomb next week, you could get a real bargain if you hang on.

uplink
    Free Member

Cheap

hora
    Free Member

The budget deficit announcement on the 1st?

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

2nd, but yeah. CRC may not have them in stock in time for the France trip but Jensen do, as did Dango’s eGay contact.

hora
    Free Member

Dango’s going to be racing off and doing alot of jumps and drops isn’t he? Cant wait

juiced
    Free Member

full bodyarmour is great but can get very hot.

hora
    Free Member

Full body armour just makes me feel like I’ve got my Mother in Law hugging me tight whilst whispering ‘you’ll never be good enough for my Daughter’ in my ear 😆 a sort of annoying/close/nagging feeling ..

thepodge
    Free Member

it might be a bit big but I’ve got a motorbike spine protector you can borrow

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Dango’s going to be racing off and doing alot of jumps and drops isn’t he? Cant wait

Yeah. He’ll also be wrestling a bear and doing a 150mph manual at the same time, bunny hopping an Owl Sanctuary, having sex with a beautiful alien lady called Krogos on board her moonship, jamming with Roger Waters on his washboard, and training a sparrow to do complex algebra calculations.

Poor Dango 😥

hora
    Free Member

Podge I’ll come out mid week then.

Jason I was thinking of just taking my 661 knee pads rather than those Raceface (now roach or vice versa?) knee and shin things that i’ve not worn for years.

thepodge
    Free Member

cool, got new stuff to show you

hora
    Free Member

Your not going to show me your rudey are you? 😯

messiah
    Free Member

Friend of mine was raving about this which he used for the Mega.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50262

Possibly not enough protection for nutter moves but certainly not restrictive.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Knee pads all the way – I wouldn’t wear full shin pads now as they are hot, uncomfortable, move out of the way when you crash, etc., and most importantly, look really crap 😉

Ask yourself; when was the last time you twatted your shin with your pedal, other than as the result of a crash?

thepodge
    Free Member

you wish

hora
    Free Member

Friend of mine was raving about this which he used for the Mega.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50262

Possibly not enough protection for nutter moves but certainly not restrictive.

I don’t ‘get’ that product. When I first saw it in Dirt mag I thought ‘oh hello’! Then you look at it (especially the armless version) and think ‘apart from the elbow protection does it really offer anything’?

I’d love to be proven wrong. Especially if the short sleeve version offers a degree of back cushioning in addition to shoulder.

I just don’t see it as really worth the spend?

chvck
    Free Member

This has intrigued me as this sounds like the sort of thing that I’d like. What are peoples opinions on foam padding? Just found this:

http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Demon-FLEX-FORCE-HIGH-Armour-Shirt(10220).aspx

Which looks like it could be good if foam padding is any good, it does look rather warm though!

Dango
    Free Member

I’ll also be going to bed every night at 19.15 after two beers

GW
    Free Member

Knee pads all the way – I wouldn’t wear full shin pads now as they are hot, uncomfortable, move out of the way when you crash, etc., and most importantly, look really crap

they don’t move out the way in crashes (tons of experience there) if you simply wear trousers over them rather than shorts.

Ask yourself; when was the last time you twatted your shin with your pedal, other than as the result of a crash?

I do still wear shin protection when riding DH but not for for pedal strikes, You’re right, I haven’t had a pedal strike in years while riding but even if I did, a superficial wound from a pedal to the shin wouldn’t bother me, they’re there for landing without my bike in rockgardens etc. and have have chunks/dents out of the shin section from doing exactly that. I actually find 661 style kneepads too restrictive/bulky/hot/uncomfortable under trousers. Each to their own tho, eh?

Just wearing kneepads and full face (and maybe a Leatt) with your arms and upper body completely unprotected is def the way to go if looking like a cool DHer is important to you but in a proper ragdoll crash or digger into something solid protecting your knees might actually be the least of your worries.

Hora – you can get stand alone backplate/kidney belt combos for around £30

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Spine protection built into tops (any snowboard etc???)’ is closed to new replies.