Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Spinal Injuries
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

Hi guys. For the benefit of the sport, I would greatly appreciate it if as many of can send me as detailed reports as you can detailing injuries you have sustained and how many crashes you have on average in a year…especially those of you who have suffered spinal injuries. Message me and I will send you a private message. Please make the answers to the following questions the format I set out, so as to make data collection easier. If you see this post in other forums please don’t reply to both.

I need:

1) How many crashes do you think you have during a typical year?
    2) How many injuries have you sustained during that year?
    3) Can you state approximately how many hours you ride per year?
    4) Have you suffered broken cervical vertebrae? If so, state which.
    5) Have you suffered broken thoracic vertebrae? If so, state which.
    6) Have you sustained more than one serious spinal injury? If so please give additional details.
    7) Were you wearing a neck brace when you sustained a spinal injury? If so what make and model of brace were you wearing at the time.
    8] Did you suffer a head injury? If so what grade was it and were you wearing a neck brace at the time?
    9) Do you consider yourself a fast rider, average or a beginner?

Lastly can you please label your answer as (No spinal injury, no neck brace) or (No Spinal Injury, neck brace worn) or (Cervical and/or Thoracic Spinal Injury, no neck brace) and finally (Cervical and/or Thoracic Spinal Injury, neck brace worn)

Thanks!

bullheart
    Free Member

For the benefit of the sport,

Why? What are you doing with the information? Who do you represent?

Maybe you should post the above details first before requesting such detailed information.

Not being obtuse, but as a former researcher I probably would’ve given a little more information.

Drac

1) 2 maybe 3 of what I’d call a crash.

2) What year?

3) At a rough guess maybe 450.

4) No.

5) No.

6) No.

7) N/A

8) When on a typical year, ‘that year’ or when I didn’t have my spinal injury?

9) Average but I ride fast, I’m not sure they’re exclusive.

No Spinal Injury or neck brace.

On a note you really need to review your questions, if you were one of my students I’d send you away to rewrite them as they are far too open to interpretation and number 2 makes no sense.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Ask me nicely and I might answer your questions.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I am also wondering how it will be for the good of the sport rather, than helping out your project for instance. Naturally suspicious of someone asking questions but not telling me why I guess…

xcentric
    Free Member

@bwaarp – have you not heard of informed consent? Any research project – official or not – needs to treat subjects with respect, and basic partcipant information and purpose of questions is standard ethical procedure.

geetee1972
    Free Member

1) I tend to have a crash that leads to injury once every four years. I make school boy errors that lead to a ‘forced dismount’ with no injuries, maybe once a year.
    2) Crashes that result in injury once every four years
    3) Hours a year on the bike, around 500
    4) Compression fracture of T12 and 11 and also in my lumbar region (not sure which ones)
    5) Compression fracture of T11 and 12.
    6) Evidence of other compression fractures in my lower spine, not previously diagnosed but identified when diagnosing the T11 and 12 injuries that occured in September this year.
    7) No neck brace worn
    8] Not clear whether I had a head injury or not; I didn’t lose consciousness but my helmet (POC Receptor Flow) was cracked front to back.
    9) I would modestly consider myself a ‘fast trail rider’ and a very average DH rider.

crikey
    Free Member

For the benefit of the sport,

What benefit?

juan
    Free Member

What benefit?

Prove TJ wrong about it’s helmets kill you 😀

bwaarp
    Free Member

Sorry my initial post was worded rather badly, late at night etc. Well, there have been a few arguments raging about whether leatt braces cause thoracic spinal damage and increased head injuries.

This is not a proper study, as there would be so many holes in the data it would never stand up to journal scrutiny and I can’t be arsed to set up a website with all the required legal documents for such a study without knowing what the interest in participation would be. What I wanted was just to develop an idea to start a bit of discourse in the mtb world…basically just me having a bit of fun. I was going to post the data back up on here afterwards.

I have yet to see any independent body actually test neck braces and develop a standard, I had hoped the MTB world could put pressure on the relevant bodies to do so. If you guys would like a more official study, then by all means be my guest and help me create a website that has all the relevant legal information and suggest any ideas you have.

How many of you would genuinely go to all the effort to participate read and sign some legal documents? If a lot of you would then I’ll eat my hat and will set about building a website.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I crash every ride, 80% dust myself off, 15% take some deep breaths and eat a cereal bar whilst composing myself, 5% end up with some kind of injury that stops me riding for a few days/week.

I hospitalise myself once every 4 years.

Never injured my spine (I hope).

No idea how many hours I ride

goatster
    Free Member

Bwarrp.
    I think your questions are badly put. Neck braces are specific to full face helmets ergo dh. Wearing a neck brace with an xc helmet would be dangerous, everything in the design of a NB to protect your neck, specifically c 1 n 3 (i think) with a full face on, will have the reverse effect without one. So your questions should read:
    1 how many hours in a FF helmet do you ride?
    2 how often do you fall off?
    3 do you wear a NB?
    4 any spinal injuries?
    5 are you fast?
    Etc etc

Personally I ride on average 50 hours a year in a FF (mainly over 2 hols and weekends here and there) on a good year. I fall off quite a lot, especially racing. Whenever I put on a FF I wear a NB. I have sustained no spinal injuries and we all ride fast. X’s 3 as we all wear the same and there are 3 of us and we have all stacked bigtime at some stage.

T

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Now I know more I wouldn’t complete your survey 🙂
    But only because I don’t wear a full face helmet. I would have completed something like it otherwise if it was about something I did though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Spinal Injuries’ is closed to new replies.