Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Spinach – who sells the nicest?
  • cinnamon_girl

Presumably UK is best? Any particular area? Washed or unwashed? Where should I buy it from?

Thanks. 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Just make sure you eat it when it’s fresh!

cinnamon_girl

TSY – how on earth can I eat a whole bag??? It stays in the fridge for a week!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Okay, make sure you don’t eat it when it’s gone off then! Disgusting. Massive bag should only make a couple of servings though, I go for steaming.

titusrider
    Free Member

You can actually tell the difference?

I can barely tell the diff between anything green never mind different farms 😛

titus, Full time salad dodger

avdave2

Do you have a garden? If so that’s were it’ll taste best from.

Stoner
    Free Member

there are some very hardy Crop and Come Again (CCA) spinach varieties which are worth having in your garden over winter. They dont even need to be in a veg patch, just plant them in between wintering shrubs and pluck them when you want to eat them.

Solo
    Free Member

CG.

Hi. Have you checked out the Sainsbury’s, pre washed stuff ?.
    I know it sounds a poncey, but I view it as just being convenient.
    🙂

As for taste. If you include your spinach in an omlette, then there will be other constituents which will be more flavoursome.
    ( I add some cyder vinear to my omlettes, with some tabasco, cumin, oregano. Then I finish my omlette under the grill, but not before a few generous splashes of worcestershire sauce )

If its for salad, then a good dressing brings any salad to life, ime.
    As I’m sure you know.
    🙂

Just leave out the watermelon ?.
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/seafood-recipes/prawn-watermelon-salad

This Looks nice.
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/soup-recipes/scrumptious-spanish-chickpea-chorizo

Just leave out the spuds
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/english-hot-pot-of-amazing-summer-greens

🙂

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. 🙂 But, seriously, a veg patch in my garden? Hell no, I’ve got ideas for North Shore!

Solo – thank you for the links, will give Sainsbury’s a go. I just wish it came in a smaller quantity as I like to eat a medley of veg. Have given up fruit and haven’t eaten potatoes for around 20 years but not sure whether tomatoes are a good thing?

Knew I could rely on STW for helpful answers. 8)

loum
    Free Member

A bag of frozen spinach works well for small portions kept fresh for a long time, but it does mean you’re having it as cooked veg portion rather than a salad leaf.
    Quality (IME) is a lot more variable with the froxen stuff. Sainsbury’s is frozen “shredded” spinach. Wheras Waitrose do frozen “whole leaf” spinach which seems far better quality, less like scraps, and doesn’t produce so much green spinach water.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Get on to some lovely watercress as well.

Test Valley nommage…!

I’m a massive fan of frozen spinach as well, Waitrose by choice. Such a marvellously convenient thing to have in.

sweepy
    Free Member

I find the unwashed babyleaf spinach in bags lasts much longer than the washed stuff.

BigJohn

So bad it’s good…out of a tin.

I know it’s sometimes not Spinach, it’s mustard but I do like a good Palak Panir (cheese & spinach curry) from a good Punjabi caff, and that deffo comes out of a tin.

The ethnic aisle in Tesco has big cans for next to nowt.

And just to moot the idea I’m not a complete philistine, I did cook up some fresh out of the garden this evening, together with the only stalk of purple sprouting that the pigeons didn’t get.

RichPenny
    Free Member

You can buy Spinach on Salisbury market CG, is grown on Kensons Farm near Fovant so not far from you 🙂 His other veg is also very nice, as AB will confirm.

Get on to some lovely watercress as well.

Test Chalke Valley nommage…!

FTFY 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rich Penny is right.

About the spinach and other veg at the market at least! 😉

Actually, the Chalke does make for some lovely cress as well.

Solo
    Free Member

I didn’t know Sainsbury’s sold frozen spinach.

Still, the organic, pre-washed bags aren’t that large.

Heres’ tonights meal:

4 egg omlette, with…. Spinach !.
    😉

Oooof !. That was gooooooood.

And that was 3/4 of a bag, in one hit.

What I didn’t finish tonight, is for breaky.

😉

Edit:
    but not sure whether tomatoes are a good thing?

They’re fine. Just don’t go bonkers on them.
    Just eat the quantity you would have normally.

summer is coming and more salads will be made and consumed by me.
    I always have Tomatoes in my salads.
    😉

Oh !, and we’ve not even discussed Salsa yet.
    And believe me, Salsa is one thing that you can make totally iDiet compliant and is soooooo good at the BBQ.

Summer ?.

Bring it !.

😀

flap_jack
    Free Member

Riverford do the best IMO. Expensive though.

Costco not bad either, and you get a massive (400g) bag for £2 from them.

Bunnyhop

c_g – Stoner is correct, it’s so easy to grow. The young leaves are scrummy in a salad (raw) and bigger leaves cook up a treat.
    Found out though (from someone off stw) that there isn’t as much iron as we think in spinach.
    Gives good muscles though 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Spinach – who sells the nicest?’ is closed to new replies.