Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Spin classes, any good?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The ones in my old gym were ace. Flywheel heavy enough to make it feel like riding a track bike, and a resistance lever that was both smooth/linear enough to be usable, and brutally effective. And the instructors were good too.

If they start telling you to lean left/right, do press ups and pedal slowly whilst out of the saddle, assume they’re getting kick backs from a physio for knee referrals.

On the one hand they’re great for fitness and require only a modicum of motivation. On the other a turbo, trainerroad subscription and a proper plan would be better. But at least a spin class has almost instant results, if you go out with a average group then after a month or two of spinning a couple of nights a week you will be leaving them behind. Some days I can motivate myself on the Turbo, others I get 10-15minutes in and just give up.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If you’ve only got a modicum of motivation then spin won’t work for you. Unless you are motivated enough to give it some beans then you’re wasting your time. It takes more than a modicum of motivation to push yourself hard whatever the activity. For me it is convenience – what else am I going to do for a couple or few 30 minute sessions per week at lunchtimes? I could go for a run – been there, done that but started getting knee niggles and then realised that most of the keen runners I knew had knee and hip issues. I used to pump iron, but that doesn’t float my boat anymore. At least with spin I get a good beasting from a shouty instructor to loud hard core dance music. I finish every 30 minute session almost drowning in a pool of my own sweat, gasping for breath with my legs burning. Interspersing it with ‘abs blast’ sessions and circuit training though the week i’m ripped…..underneath a good 14 tog layer of lard to keep me warm in winter. It’s definitely a case of what you put in your mouth over what exercise you do.

the press-ups and leaning is done from the waist to work out your core and upper body, so no knee twisting. The lower body and legs remain in line.

Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Spin classes, any good?’ is closed to new replies.