Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Spidery eyed thing MK3
  • trout
    Free Member

The original Spidereyes has been on tour around the UK since it was hacked out of a lump of Ali with a blunt axe

and I was not happy with the beam from the MK2 so started the 3 yesterday .
    I did start to take pics along the way but got a bit carried away with the butcher job and tool abuse so forgot some stages

Apologies to engineering types for the blatant misuse of tools
    and no fish were harmed in the making of this light .

job started with a 2.5 inch square bar and the powerhacksaw

Which got a little way in and broke the blade so had a good hour+ with the elbow hacksaw

Then on to the rotary table ( Oh how I wish I have bought a bigger one )
    getting it all clamped up seemed to take forever.

Got well and truly into the machining so not many interim pics

just after this pic I had a good vacuum up before the whole job was buried under chips.

A bit more exercise to warm up in the cold workshop with some more sawing to remove some metal

then back in the mill to make more chips loving the carbide hogging out tool makes for fast removal of waste .

it is not quite as I had in my head but when you mill a little bit badly you then adapt to how it evolves.

here is the thing ready for a dunk in the caustic after a whole heap of rubbing with abrasives and hand files to get the final shape.

and having a fizzing time in said nasty stuff

not quite as exciting in the desmut nasty stuff just seems to sit there doing nothing .

heres my ano set up in the shed

and the thing cooking in the acid those fume control balls make a large difference to the breath ability in there too need a few more though

all assembled for testing

OK a bit of a why did I not like the beam from the mk2
    it had the asphericals and one lens for fill in close by but as they were all pointing at the same place it was only the spill from the lens that shone down on the ground this was evident when I covered the eyes up .

so for this one I have gone back to 2 xpgs in parallel like the original spidy then in series with the 2 xmls
    and have angled them down a few degrees so as to have the long beam and the short beam .

I have not lit it up in the dark but here is a shot to show what it is like on the wall

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Wow that looks proper good- what weight is it?

althepal

Loving it. Those look great.

bruneep

Bravo.

Doffs hat to the eccentric engineer type person.

😀

MarkyG82

Its amazing how much waste material there is. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Are the asphericals really that spotty? Thinking of a single XML for the noggin.

Alternatively, are these going into production?

flashes
    Free Member

ooo that’s nice……….

user-removed
    Free Member

Impressive stuff there! And to think I used to get stick from the wife for having photographic chemicals knocking around…. Will show her this thread next time the darkroom gets set up 😉

muddyfox69
    Free Member

Looks fantastic. Once the baubles and tinsel are on, should be perfect.

Pauly

Looks great. Loving my upgraded Hope Twin LED btw. Been out for a couple of rides with it and it’s more than enough imo.

trout
    Free Member

Wow that looks proper good- what weight is it?

Pop Larkin
    its not for the wimpy of neck , its dead on 150 grams.
    but very low profile.

MarkyG82 yes without the fill in leds it is far too focused to use
    on its own

and yes to your second question in a limited quantity .

beamshot it was no fit to send a dog out but the dog and I ventured in to the woods for some testing

beam shots I only hed it set on 2 levels max and level 3 on the 3 amp flex table.

First impressions were good and as you can see in the photos there is a small dark slot between the beam and the flood so it seems I am out by a degree or 2 and for perfection it would need lifting to blend with the aspherics beam .

in real life this was not so much of an issue and it was barely noticeable when moving along .

looks like 2 lights and I like it from the first walk when the damn rain stops I will see if I like it as much on the bike .

rOcKeTdOg

I’m avaliable for testing duties 😉

jedi

oh i can test them out for you if needed 🙂 🙂

epicyclo

Maybe you need to start casting your casings

Thought you might enjoy this site.

trout
    Free Member

Cheers Epicyclo

I did once try smelting aluminium and it worked great
    but the casting was not for me .

trout
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjKdLJecUn4[/video]

trout
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

you’ve put on weight, too many mince pies

racefaceec90

jeepers.how much for one? please say you are going to sell them 😀 (seriously i am interested) just buying a new guitar/amp first 😉 p.s no 5 is alive 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is so beautiful…..

Troutie; can you makes possibly tiny urban light for me please? does not in any way need to be mega-powerful like those naughty things, I’d probbly get nicked for having something that bright in London, and I live near an airport so don’t want any planes crashing nearby. 😯

Needs to be tiny, very light and clip on and off handlebars. Bright enough to illuminate the odd bit of unlit canal path, but controllable enough to dim very quickly if someone’s coming the other way otherwise they’ll crash into the sea. And a flashing mode is essential.

Andituk
    Free Member

That’s the best looking light I’ve ever seen, that’s awesome 😀

belugabob
    Free Member

Troutie,

I’ve always been impressed by your lights but, for the helmet in particular, prefer the all in one designs produced by Exposure.
    Do you have any plans to produce lights with a built in battery, in order to avoid the flappy cable situation?
    They really don’t need to be as bright as some of the lights that are around at present – about 500 lumens for the helmet and 1000 for the bars should do it.
    They would have to be relatively quick release too.

Regards,

Bob

LeeW

You’ve decapitated Wall-E!

organic355
    Free Member

Looks nice, reminds me of this guy:

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Very pretty.

organic355
    Free Member

Ummm, my pic was supposed to be of Wall-E, not sure what happened there! 🙄

flashes
    Free Member

Now that’s more like it……….I might even like that more than the origional………….

Chris, I’ve emailed re the origional……….

sambob
    Free Member

That orange one is awesome, want one. How much if you make it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How can it have a square beam pattern? How? And 2 separate pools of light?

Looks lovely, but that beam pattern is no good at all IMO

I already have a Trout light. It’s a nice bit of kit, very bright, but it’s too focussed as well. Not anywhere near like that though.

Light makers (All of them) need to get away from the lumens race and make something with a more useable beam pattern. There’s so much light wasted with pretty much every light on the maket right now, because they’re all just using the same piddly little circular reflectors. Stop trying to make them more powerful and smaller, and give us a beam like a car headlamp on dip – i.e. one that shines all the light at the floor and doesn’t waste 1/3 of it up in the air with a circular beam pattern.

Sorry. Moan over. Flame away.

shortcut

This looks interesting, intrigued by the beam and disagreeing with Pete!!

Pointing at the floor is useful but if you are leading a ride you need to see the stuff around you too, otherwise we would be very lost! Peripheral vision is very useful, just ask anyone with Tunnel Vision!

devs
    Free Member

Any you need testing on the puffer trout I’ll gladly oblige! 🙂

trout
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    whilst I agree to some extent with some of your rant i wouldnt be making 5 proto lights if I was not sure of its performance .
    for a helmet light it has a great beam the focused square beam is awesome on the trail
    but it is too focused and narrow close to the bike. which is why it has the other beam near

get in touch with who ever has the one doing the rounds and have a go it might alter your HO

this one is a machine shop pre production housing which I am testing before giving the go ahead for a small batch

Devs might take you up on that. when is it

I believe it to be unique as a bike light with nothing like it anywhere it is in my opinion the best helmet light ever
    but then I also like Marmite

bruneep

but then I also like Marmite

gingerss
    Free Member

I made a light once with a hood that made sure most of the light went down on to the trail. I kept hitting branches at head level.

Trout – the light looks ace.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

PP – I like a very focussed spot beam for a helmet light – I wouldn’t want those extra lower ones on that light – just the nice tight spot.

Its different for a bar light but for a helmet light all you need is it to light up the bit in your central vision

fadda

This looks like it might be the helmet light I’m looking for! However, need to get the charger sorted for my liberator first – Troutie, did you get my mail about the replacement charger you sent me?

trout
    Free Member

nope just gone through all mail folders and spam
    and nowt from you about the repacement charger

fadda

OK, I’ve just re-sent it…

devs
    Free Member

trout, it’s on 7th Jan. Want me to email you?

trout
    Free Member

Devs yep drop me a mail

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Trout I took the Mk1 for its first test/trip along the SDW and its was Epic, Any chance for a Mark2 test?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Spidery eyed thing MK3’ is closed to new replies.