Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Speyside Way – S of Aviemore – scotroutes?
  • kcal

On the train today, heading N – looked out the window around the area between Kingussie and Aviemore, a not level but flattened surface seems to run alongside the railway line (mostly) quite a way until near Aviemore. Looks like the Speyside Way type surface as it exists N of Aviemore (to Boat) so I wondered if its some kind of extension of the Speyside Way to link up to Kingussie (which has the track to Newtonmore already).

scotroutes?

Basil

Sustrans N7 North ?

kcal

It’s right by the rail line mostly – round by Loch Alvie and so on. Maybe there always was a path but it looks relaid and there were guys still hammering fencing. Closer look at a 25 000 map online seems it may be Badenoch Way – but maybe re-routed or extended?

CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, its the Speyside Way. The plan is to extend the official route from Aviemore to Newtonmore. Not sure how much of it is new paths, I think some parts will be the same as the Badenoch Way.
    This says its hoped to be officially opened in July 2015. http://cairngorms.co.uk/park-authority/outdoor/proposed-speyside-way-extension

scotroutes

Speyside Way extension. Currently runs (unsignposted) between Aviemore and Dalraddy (with a wee bit still being built) and then on the other side of the railway alongside Dalraddy Holiday Park.

Pretty disappointed with the route as it avoids anything worth seeing (e.g. Loch Alvie, Alvie Church) doesn’t pass the Rowan Tree (potential lunch spot) and also doesn’t actually go along the River Spey at all. For most of its length it runs parallel to existing estate tracks and for some of it is right next to the railway, obscuring any views.

I assumed they would have to improve the old Badenoch Way section between Speybank and Kincraig as it’s narrow and has a pretty steep drop into the Spey itself but I haven’t seen any work on that section yet.

Frankly you’d be better going via Kinrara between Dalraddy and Aviemore……

epicyclo

The other day I rode from Kingussie to Inverness and took as much offroad as I could get, so I would have ridden some of that.

Unfortunately it was intended to be a road ride, so I didn’t have a map and therefore had no idea what was what, but I took any track that looked like it headed in a northerly direction. (Quite a few were labelled with cycle route signs.) There were lots of gates.

I was on a 29er with slick road tyres (Big Apple) and the surfaces were perfectly fine for that.

As for the views? Can’t comment. It was pissing all day and anytime I got high enough to see a view there was too much mist. The midgies were out in force to encourage a no slacking policy.

I enjoyed the ride despite being wet almost all day, and I’ll be back to do it again – next time with a map. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Speyside Way – S of Aviemore – scotroutes?’ is closed to new replies.