Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Spesh Storm Control tyres
  • Stu_N

Any experiences? Need something winter-orientated, but not full-on mud tyre like a Trailraker – the Dirt review suggested this was just the ticket.

We’re talking a bit of filth, not full-on clay mud but the old HiRollers just ain’t cutting it at the moment…

donsimon
    Free Member

I went through all this a few weeks ago and decided to go for XC FirePro from the Panaracer stable as I was looking for something in the faster rolling flavour and didn’t want draggy mud tyres.
    As this is really my first experience in real mud I can say that they perform exceptionally well even in what I would call quite deep (5-10cms) mud, holding the line and not sliding one bit.
    Damned cheap too from Merlin.

avdave2

I had to take my XC pro’s off in the winter as the wheels would stop turning 2 or 3 times on a 6 mile commute, they just picked up all the mud and held it. I’m using mud x now which seem like a good all round winter tyre.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used storms last winter, good in mud, but (like all mud tyres) useless on hardpack, using purgatorys this year, better all round apart form in propper mud, which if I/we’re honest only makes up 5% of any ride.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

MudX – far better allrounders than the name gives them credit for.

mikey74
    Free Member

Are MudXs a nightmare to fit? I’ve heard rumours to this affect.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

I’ve heard all of that and all I can say is absolutely no problem whatsoever on my Mavic EN521 rims.

AirconAde
    Free Member

2.1 Trailraker on the front and a 2.2 (?) storm pro on the rear. Yea a bit draggy but good training for the summer!

The raker is awsome on wet roots and mud, deffo one of the best tyres I’ve had.

rewski
    Free Member

spesh storms are pretty much the same as mudx, although I found they roll faster on harder ground, spesh 2bliss fit very easy on my XTs, both great tyres for the money.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

spesh storms are pretty much the same as mudx

I found the 2.0″ storm to come up much bigger than a 2.0″ mudX.
    I’ve only had the storm on the rear for one full day but so far I’m impressed. On muddy climbs my legs gave out long before traction did.
    It’s got enough volume to make it useable on the back of a trail bike (Five) and coped well enough with the downhill course at Gisburn (running tubeless with Stans gunk & Flows)
    I run mudX on both ends of the hardtail over Winter but in comparrison to the Storm they’re a low volume tyre and susceptible to pinchflatting with a clumbsy oaf like me on board.
    Very happy with the Storm so far.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Spesh storms are pretty much the same as MudX until you come to grip on anything but mud where the Bontrager wins hands down. They are MUCH better across roots and on wet rock. Spec are far too hard compound.

Don’t have an issue with the volume of the MudX despite being 98kg, but then I don’t try and run them at silly low pressures.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Must agree re roots, my spesh storms are great in mud, but scary on roots.

sparkyrhino

was looking at trying trairaker,mud x ,myself,but been a tight arsed yorkshire man ,spied some halo knobblers anyone have any experience or opinions?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Storm Control tyres’ is closed to new replies.