Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Spesh Fsr 2010 Comp
  • Nick_Christy
    Free Member

Anyone got one and how is it for you?

im going for one next month or a giant trance 2010 x4

which would you go for and why?

njee20
    Free Member

FSR XC or Stumpjumper FSR?

Presumably the former? Both good bikes. The FSR XC is pretty weighty, but otherwise fine.

BoardinBob

Got the 2009. Exact same bike.

Tora fork is pretty crap and I swapped for a RS Reba Team

X-Fusion shock is ok but basic, I swapped for a Fox Float RP2

The bike is now excellent. It definitely needs a fork upgrade to get the best out of it and the shock is adequate but the new Fox unit is a marked improvement.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

the fsr xc sorry

v10
    Free Member

We sell lots of both. The Trance is a better bike for less money.

You will get 10% of free spesh stuff before the end of the month with the Spring Rewards thing, however id still opt for the Giant though unless your like me and the Med is too small and the Large too big..

in which case the Large spesh will be perfect 😆

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

whats is the 10% free spesh stuff?

i currently ride a 23" hardrock 2010 so i think i will go for a XL in either the giant or the spesh.

why is the trance a better bike??

v10
    Free Member

Specialized Spring Reward

Thats your 10% free kit – actually runs til end of April not March, my bad.

What sort of height are you, HR's are pretty short for a given size, if your comfy on it an XL in the specialized is probably about right but the Large Trance is a pretty big unit so you may not need the XL.

Me saying the trance is a better bike is obviously just my opinion but based on spending a fair amount of time on both bikes and selling lots of each too.

Spec is pretty much like for like, juicys probably a slightly better brake on the spesh but the Shimano's on the Giant are decent enough stoppers. Lots of people swing towards the FSR because of the lockout shock but its actually one of the bikes downfalls, because of the way the adjuster works its often the case that the rebound adjusts itself as your riding along… never a pleasant experience, its also a pretty bouncy ride on full open, it really doesnt do whats actually a very good little frame much justice. The simple Giant air shock on the giant is just that, very simple, but its all that the frame really needs. The maestro system works well enough (not saying its amazing and doesnt bob at all but its good) without all the fancy pro-pedals gubbins and lockouts, its also a very reliable little shock.

As an aside – and as many of you will know i don't actually work there but if you are infact a large id go for the 09 X5 from Pauls at £799. Effectively the same bike but £200 cheaper and with a Recon Air fork and Juicy Brakes… bloody bargain 😆

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

im 6ft 5…. you recon a L on the giant would be sufficent?

i saw that offer from pauls already 😉

toying with all these ideas argh!!!! hate buying new bikes lol

v10
    Free Member

At 6'5 your going to be on the XL Trance too!

Obviously best bet is to get your backside on a saddle and make sure so its probably worth a ring round a few dealers to see if anyone has one to try. Had a quick check and the XL X4 is OOS until week 14 (currently week 9) its also the only model Trance available in XL so it might be harder than first expected!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

o jolly good….

think pauls cycles has a xl in the x4 2010… but £50 more and i have the fsr xc…

think i need to sit on both. trying to find someone with them in stock is the most fun..

in austria too 😉

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

what kind of benefits are expected from this when i go from my hardtail?

better riding?

more versatile riding?

nick

M6TTF
    Free Member

At 6.5ft I'd be toying with big wheels…

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

like what matey?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

its also a pretty bouncy ride on full open, it really doesnt do whats actually a very good little frame much justice.

That would be poor set up from soneone that doesn't have a clue how suspension works…..

v10
    Free Member

😆

Ive got a much better clue than most on here how to setup a FS bike thanks :wink:. The rebound control on this shock is just pretty poor, which makes for a 'bouncy' less controlled ride on rougher ground no matter how the shock is set, i apologise for using laymans terms with such elitist minds in attendance!

The same bike with a different shock (Pro with the Fox Triad) is much more controlled through its travel and its just a much more composed bike when pushed on because of this. Or perhaps i just got lucky and set it up better. 😀

bonesetter
    Free Member

Your feedback goes against every other I've read on the new 2010 brain suspension.

Owners & testers all comment on the efficient feel, trail tuneability and just how well everything works

Edit: just realised, this is the Comp you're on about, not the Brained version?

BoardinBob

If you're looking to spend a grand on a 120mm FS then the Boardman Team is the one you should be buying. With the logical upgrades you'll make to the Spesh or Giant, you more or less end up with the same spec as the Boardman, you just spend a lot more to get there.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

No Brain on the FSR XCs.

I have an 09 FSR XC Expert (about £150 more than the comp – main diff I think is Recon forks, DT wheels and a couple of XT bits) and haven't really experienced any problems with the shock damping. Compression and rebound damping are fully independently adjustable from pogo stick bouncy to solid and slow.

I love mine. Gratuitous pic:

Legoman
    Free Member

I was looking at pretty much exactly the same decision 12 months ago (except 2009 models obviously)

Was swaying towards the Spesh, for no other reason than I'd had their bikes before and trusted the brand. However after reading a group test in MBR magazine I went for the Giant X5 as they rated it above the Spesh and several others (including a well-specced Boardman – can't remember the model).

12 months on, I'm more than happy with the Giant – done a lot of miles without any problems and I've never got around to making the upgrades I'd planned as I don't find it's particualrly limited in any respect (or maybe I just need to ride it a bit harder!)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Got the xc comp in nov, absolutely love it! Spesh's after sale service is also 2nd to none in my opinion. As previous post mentioned original shock can be dodgy, I complained about the movement of the lever on the x fusion whilst riding and it is apparently a well noted problem. They upgraded it to a fox triad at no cost which is far better and much nicer to ride with. Also had a recent problem with the juicy 3s which have again been fully changed for free to the 3.5s ( no real difference) but was nice to get new callipers and rotors thrown in, not just the one faulty lever!! All in all a great bike in my limited opinion!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

just went to go sit on the giant and what a great feel… so my mind is made up i love it…

will this bike be ok for normal riding also like single tracks along rivers etc and road riding for me and girlfriend days??

or am i going to be just bouncing around the whole time?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

anyone?

MrTall
    Free Member

I had an XL Trance and although it was a lovely bike it was just not right for me at my height (6'7"). I always felt like i was going over the bars on any steep downhill and as a result never had confidence in it. This was a 100mm 2006 version though, not the newer ones.

As has been mentioned, i'd at least look at some 29ers at your height before you part with the cash and i'd also ask yourself if you really need a full suss when it sounds like most of your riding will be tow paths and roads with your girlfriend?

I have a Spesh Rockhopper 29er in a 23" size and love it and it is as much bike as i ever need 95% of the time. Having said that i also have full suss and singlespeed 29ers (Salsa & OnOne) as i like buying shiny things…

Try and get a test ride if you can before you buy but i know from experience that this can be hard when you're very tall. If you ask on here then there are plenty of 6'5"+ guys who'd be more than happy to let you try out their bigger bikes. I'm 10 miles south of Brum if that's easy travelling distance for you?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i live in innsbruck, austria 😉 thanks for the offer thoigh.

the normal riding i do is on the mountain and down the mountain mainly. but the master of fun wants to take a casual ride i want to make sure i will be ok to go for a pootle with her.

i got a spes h hardrock 23" pro and its great also! which is why i am making sure its going to be perfect for what i want… which i think it will be, just got to find a XL as they are impossible so far to find one lol…

its a small world apparently 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Fsr 2010 Comp’ is closed to new replies.