Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Spesh Enduro 29 comp owners to the forum please…
  • tymbian
    Free Member

How long have you had yours and what changes have you made?

I should be taking delivery of mine this week, I’m planning on

Swapping to 1 x 10 and removing the taco blade

Setting up tubeless….my question here is are the oem tyres good enough bearing in mind I’ll be riding Welsh trails in the summer and up in the lakes so should I be looking at something with sidewall protection?

Changing to a wider bar.

Are the formula brakes it comes with up to the job or should I change them right away? I’ve a fighting weight of 200lbs+ with a full bladder.,

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I had an E29, which had some of the same parts.

The bars arn’t actually bad, 750mm & a nice shape. The stem was a bit silly on the large (75mm) so that went straight away.

The tyres I like, in fact they have ended up on my HT now. Butcher front & Purgatory rear is a good combo. Reasonable balance between grip & rolling speed.

Mine had Avids, so can’t comment on the brakes – although budget Formula’s arn’t great from the past. You may as well use them, you’ll get bobbins for them if you sell them anyway.

shortcut

I’m on a Stumpjumper Evo Comp.

Tyres are good, wheels come with valves for tubeless and they go up fine and are plenty robust and grip well.

Brakes – I went straight to XT to match my other bikes. If you do change brakes be aware of the need to buy a SRAM clam for your remaining shifter. I have one in the garage and I am happy to sell at what I paid (£20) they are hard to get.

I also went single ring – no issues there.

tymbian
    Free Member

Are the wheels ready to use tubeless straight outta the box or will I need tape.

Where did you get your xt brakes from & what’s the sram clamp is for..

Tracey

Cant coment on the 29r but the 26 are good. We are on S Works ones. Wont get much better tyres than are fitted. Chain Reaction had an extra offer on xt brakes this morning. Got the valves with our Rovals to go tubeless but not bothered. Though about 1 x 10 on Abigale build but kept it to 2 x 10 for all the climbing she will be doing in the Alps. Im running the standard stem but Abigale went for a 35mm one

shortcut

Wheels are pre taped with Roval tape so all good.

Clamp to hold the gear shifter on as it comes with a custom clamp that attaches the shifter to the brake clamp.

I got my xt’s from Merlin.

tymbian
    Free Member

Good news about the Rims being pre-taped. Are the sidewalls on the tyres strong enough?

Is there an adapter that fits the Sram shifter to the Shimano ( I spec or I spec B ) brakes? Are the XT’s worth the extra over the SLX?

Tracey

Used the tyres all over the UK and on trips to the Alps. Run ours between 25 and 30 psi. Not had any problems with the sidewalls yet

tymbian
    Free Member

Hi again, as of this morning I now have a new ride….so I have a q..the valves for the tubeless setup that come with the 29 are they a plug n play option..ie. push through the rim, screw the lock-nut on and they are ready to go?

The OEM grips have to go as they are not chunky enough for my hands…don’t know about the bars yet though..

tomat0
    Free Member

Stumpy 29 owner here…..

Tubeless valves should be as you say, plug and play. Had to do mine up b*****d tight to get a good seal though so now carry small pliers in my pack incase i ever need to remove it again trailside.

Specialized tyres are winners in my book too, although the sidewalls are looking pretty sorry for themselves after a year or so.

Best of luck with it, it should be a proper monster truck if my stumpy is anything to go by!

trialsben
    Free Member

I’ve had my enduro comp for about 5 months now, great bike and so fast and capable!
    First change I made was a wide bar and 50mm stem, the xl came with a 90mm stem which imho has no place on a bike like this.

I quite like the formula brakes, had a few issues with the rear pumping up but a good bleed and new pads solved that, they feel good now, only question is longevity but I will see how long they last before replacing them.

I’ve had no such luck with the standard wheels and tyres, constantly putting holes in the tyres and finding the sidewalls too thin, found the rear tyre wanting to roll on the rim under hard cornering, even with high pressures and actually skinned a few sidewalls so stans leaked through them. Changed to a maxxis / michelin combo now which seems a lot better.

Standard wheels are ok but pretty flexy, had to keep tensioning the spokes on the rear until I destroyed it on a jump (my fault), have now replaced them with a hope / mavic en821 combo, loads better and the extra stiffness of a nice tight build seems to make the bike feel better.

You won’t be disappointed with your choice, most capable bike I’ve ever ridden, just needs a little bit of tweaking I think to make it even better!

tymbian
    Free Member

I came back from a 20 mile ride yesterday to find that it had rained so instead of coming in to the village across the fields I hit the road..the amount of water that flicked up at me was unreal..now I know there’s a lot more tyre out front compared to my 26 but this was surreal..

What mud-guards you guys using…is a neo guard a bad idea cause of the mud/ grit collecting on the fork seals?

..and the front tyre has to go, not convinced with the levels of grip..I’ve a 2.4 folding Ardent on the way ( €25 ( £20 ) from Probikeshop).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Enduro 29 comp owners to the forum please…’ is closed to new replies.